Louis Cyphre's Walrus - Reveal Thread

That baby walrus looks like that tRUmp lawyer Ty Cobb imo

Tier 2: The Larks, Not The Nightingales

In 13th place, scoring 4 points, @pyatnitski with Nobody Knows the Trouble That I’ve Seen by Sam Cooke

Sam Cooke makes his second appearance. Judging by these two entries into the Walrus he was a very talented singer. If we go by voice alone this is fantastic. Here he just doesn’t sing a song that I care for.

In 12th place, scoring 5 points, @Jalfrezi with I’ve Been Loving You Too Long by Otis Redding

This suffers from the same defiency as the previous entry. I can appreciate the craft. I can marvel at the voice. I still have to like the song. Soul isn’t a genre that I enjoy. Otis Redding can’t fix that.

In 11th place, scoring 6 points, @ microbet with The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd

This is more low-key than most (all?) of the other entries. I can appreciate it for what it is. There needs to be more to climb the ranking list. Pizzazz is the word of the day and it is lacking here.

2 Likes

Tier 3: The Sparrows

In 10th place, scoring 7 points, @Lawnmover_Man with Diamonds are Forever by Shirley Bassey

While I am not intimately familiar with Shirley Bassey’s body work I am sure I have heard songs that are better suited to showcase her abilities. This is a mass produced pop song. Unintrusive and nice enough to listen to. We can do better.

1 Like

In 9th place, scoring 8 points, @skydiver8 with Please Read The Letter by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

This is a perfectly nice ballad. Robert Plant knows his craft and does most of the work here. This is a perfectly nice ballad. Alison Krauss is relegated to the role of a backup singer.

This is a perfectly nice ballad. It’s a bit repetitive. This is a perfectly nice ballad. I would have preferred more of the last one or two minutes and less of the tearjerker stuff we get before then. This is a perfectly nice ballad.

1 Like

Please read the letter, it’s strongly worded

3 Likes

In 8th place, scoring 9 points, @miliboo with Painkiller by Judas Priest

This is one of the most well-known and well-regarded metal songs. Rob Halford without a doubt has a unique voice with a range of I think 4 octaves. What’s the over/under on how many times a metalhead like me has heard this before?

This could have scored higher but it fails the freshness test: what would I rather listen to right now?

The answer is: all the tracks yet to come.

2 Likes

Tier 4: The Canaries

In 7th place, scoring 10 points, @Twist with Avenue by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Finally something interesting. Thank you. This has several levels to keep me engaged. Most notably the incessant drumming and whatever this singing style is called. This tier is very close. Three songs that are hard to compare.

In 6th place, scoring 11 points, @ChrisV with Lover, You Should Have Come Over by Jeff Buckley

When creating this category I had songs like for example Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah in mind. This is from the same album so we are already off to a good start. Hallelujah is the only song I know from Buckley so I gladly took the opportunity to find out what else he has in store. Last Goodbye you say?

He doesn’t disappoint here. Unsurprisingly he can not match the accomplishment that is Hallelujah. I can’t blame him for failing to clear that high bar.

We still get a terrific performance. His voice conveys the pain he’s supposed to feel without ever drifting into sob stuff territory. Boring? No way.

1 Like

It’s not her voice that’s forgettable. The song is.

In 5th place, scoring 12 points, @Suzzer99 with You Got the Love by Florence and the Machine Featuring Dizzee Rascal

I don’t understand why you picked this version instead of the original which could easily have made the podium. Chase that Dizzee Rascal off the stage. Mash-ups can work out great but here it only detracts from Florence’s amazing voice. She can sing the phone book and make it captivating. Too bad we only get (less than?) 50% of her.

1 Like

Tier 5: The Nightingales, Not The Larks

In 4th place, scoring 13 points, @King_of_NY with La Vie En Rose by Daniela Andrade

This could have finished on the podium. Places 2-4 are really close. I arbitrartily decided to sort by the level of freshness.

Here we have a timeless classic beautifully performed. Not too long ago I listened a bunch of times to Lady Gaga’s version (don’t @ me) from A Star is Born. This is one might be even better.

1 Like

Once again we have reached the podium and without further ado…

In 3rd place, scoring 14 points, @LikeClockwork with Dreamlover by Mariah Carey

In 2nd place, scoring 15 points, @smrk4 with I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston

In 1st place, scoring 16 points, @NhlNut with My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion

4 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

There’s a mistake…

In 3rd place, scoring 14 points, @LikeClockwork with Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Nirvana

Cobain’s powerful rendition of this traditional folk song is one of the all-time great moments from MTV’s Unplugged shows. If this doesn’t get to you must be dead inside. Just a fantastic performance through and through.

5 Likes

In 2nd place, scoring 15 points, @NhlNut with Caravan by Van Morrison

The tie-breaker I chose is that in this one the band contributes a lot. No question that Morrison does an outstanding performance here. So does everybody else on that stage.

I was vaguely aware of who Van Morrison is. I will check out more from him. I think I have been missing out.

2 Likes

Tier 6: Angel

In 1st place, scoring 16 points, smrk4 with Sinful Passion by Dimash Kudaibergen

I am absolutely blown away. I had very little doubt this will be the eventual winner. What an incredible range, a complete freak of nature. Simply beautiful. Nothing I could write here would it justice.

3 Likes