LOL LAW

People at my law school seemed more or less like normal people.

1 Like

Dershowitz sanctioned for AZ election lawsuit.

One thing being a parent and having most of my friends become parents has revealed to me, is how much personality is nature and not nurture. Yes, there are kids who are just straight up evil, or completely unable/unwilling to develop and show any empathy for other living things and there is very little the parents can do about it.

That said, children should never be charged as an adult in any case. The idea is stupid. If the juvenile justice system does not provide adequate solution for really heinous crimes done by older kids then fix it.

1 Like

WGH

1 Like

Would rather jab ice picks into my testicles than listen to this

https://twitter.com/muellershewrote/status/1598791167315173376?s=46&t=FoWA8M2S55TO8uaaZjqqhA

5 Likes

Dunno on this one since that kid is going to do some real bad shit again if he gets back out in the world. Unless there’s a medical solution you can’t fix that. (and even then he’d have to take it every day) Obviously I get your point but this is not an easy conversation to have for what the hell do we do with this kid that’s for sure.

What do you propose? This is not a gotcha. I have no idea what the fuck to do either.

I’m not sure any amount of resources thrown at this specific kid is going to fix him. Honestly, if he does get rehabilitated fully, then he would turn into an adult with crippling guilt over killing his mom for a VR headset. That’s like best case.

That would be my proposal. I am not an expert on criminal justice or the courts, I don’t have really strong opinions. It seems to me like there needs to be a recognition or process in the court proceedings for someone who is not an adult (like maybe they need a separate adult advocate from their lawyer to evaluate the effectiveness of their lawyer and additional privacy protections, perhaps contextual sentencing guidelines based on developmental experts). This should be based on age and independent of the nature of the crime.

I definitely don’t think it needs to be a thing that punishment for juvenile sentencing ends at 18. Like a juvenile court could sentence someone like this to juvenile detention until 18 and then additional confinement in regular prison afterward. It just seems wrong that the kid should be be treated as an adult during the court proceedings, because they don’t have an adult’s capacity to support and evaluate their own defense.

1 Like

Not an lol law situation

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1602818489995214848

5 Likes

WEAK ON CRIME! YOUR FAMILY COULD BE NEXT! LOCK HER UP!

the legal profession is mirroring the justice system

The case was not glamorous, and the clients — 16 homeless people evicted from an encampment — didn’t have money for a retainer, but that was how things went at Chima Anyanwu’s one-man law practice in Koreatown. He agreed to represent the group in 2016, and later that year secured a settlement of $64,000 from the city of South Gate.

Anyanwu paid each client what they were owed, even accompanying one desperate woman to a bank branch on a Saturday to help her cash her settlement check, court records show.

Then the State Bar of California got involved. After receiving a complaint from one client, the agency responsible for policing the legal profession combed through Anyanwu’s files and bank records. An investigator uncovered no evidence of misappropriation but found that Anyanwu, who had gone abroad shortly after the settlement, delayed by five weeks withdrawing from a client trust account $4,000 that he was due in fees in the case.

For this and two other similarly minor violations, the State Bar suspended Anyanwu’s law license for 30 days, placed him on probation for two years, ordered him to retake a professional ethics exam and announced the punishment in a press release published on Facebook and in a legal newspaper.

“I was an easy target for them and an easy prey,” said Anyanwu, who had maintained a spotless law license for 18 years.

The State Bar has repeatedly failed to police prominent and wealthy members of the legal community, most notably Tom Girardi, who misappropriated millions of dollars from clients over decades and racked up more than 150 complaints before the agency took public action. But there is a corollary inequality in the scandal: The Bar has historically trained its firepower on individuals without the money, firm backing or political connections to put up a fight

Why the Bar concentrates its resources on cases that are viewed as low-hanging fruit is related to its funding, The Times found. Instead of drawing on taxpayer money, the agency relies almost entirely on the yearly fees paid by the state’s 266,000 attorneys to fund its discipline system. But the Bar cannot impose those fees without the permission of lawmakers in Sacramento.

When deciding whether to pass the fee bill each year, legislators historically have evaluated the Bar with a focus on what is known as “the backlog” — the number of complaints from the public, judges and others against lawyers that have yet to be fully investigated and resolved. Sacramento zeroed in on these pending cases as a barometer of agency performance rather than as a sign that they are in need of more resources. The higher the number, the more difficult it was for the State Bar to get funded. Over time, top Bar officials became fixated on this metric and passed it on to employees who came to see their jobs as completing as many cases as possible as quickly as possible.

But as the Girardi scandal demonstrated, efficient closures did not translate into effective policing of the profession. With bosses pressing prosecutors and investigators to keep the backlog low, they had little incentive to take on complex cases or those involving the rich and well-connected.

1 Like

MSG bans all attorneys from their venues who work for people suing them. I remember hearing about this for a Knicks game. They basically refused to allow a law firm to use their season tickets. Now this lawyer was kicked out of Radio City Music Hall.

https://twitter.com/mckeds/status/1608111423795695617?s=46&t=I0S0FNNoJICalVKjsWiZMQ

Gross. They’re 100% denying cert here so RIP to this guy.

Beyond gross.

Feels even grosser since I watched that special.

https://twitter.com/TropicalVertic1/status/1616270140718436352?s=20&t=AEtQ-YLeAEB732SNfXUuCA

1 Like

Good luck collecting.

LAWBROS literally care more about the “scathing” double spaced Times New Roman document than about the actual collecting. That’s the problem in a nutshell.

Lololol law always

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1616548601320165381?s=46&t=g9j8KizxX8kSOVCwSoVG_g