LOL LAW

but, just to bring it back to the original point, the difficulty of litigating this case for j&j’s lawyers was not that their client decided to continue to market a potentially harmful product for decades, but that the plaintiffs in this case were off the charts sympathetic.

I get all that. It’s definitely scummy that J&J hid that. But doesn’t plaintiff still have to prove causation in order to claim damages?

I don’t care too much whether J&J loses it. I was disagreeing with your original point that it was a waste of money for J&J to fight. They absolutely should have fought it because it would have been a lot more to pay off every one and the causation in that case was not clear.

It’s also not clear that we’re better off with no talc based baby powder, which was one result of the case. I don’t personally care about that, but maybe there is some bro importing talcum powder from India who is very ruslted that he has to do that.

this year i’m grateful there are ivy league grads fighting this good fight on behalf of capitalists

I’m pretty sure other companies sell talc based powders overseas. Not sure if they are planning on stopping if their stock runs out. Also not sure if this is actually saving any lives.

Well, I think we mostly agree, as long as you realize that this:

Is quite a bit different from where we started:

It would have cost them way more than just the 50 million and the causation was weak.

still disagree. bad publicity cost them many billions. even the big time lawyer got the punitive damages down to $4b.

it’s pretty much correct to do preemptive recalls. the earlier the better

That’s not clear either, even if I grant the “bad publicity cost them many billions”. I’m sure literal billions of people used J&J baby powder over those decades. If they just pay off anyone who gets a cancer, even without a proven link, the costs could have easily exceeded that.

ianal, but seems like the type of unfalsifiable pitch big law firms give you. quick google shows biggest consumer damages ever imposed is the tobacco $206b, followed by a BP oil spill at $20b, and the rest quickly go into single digits. compared to worst cost of recall of Vioxx, the drug that caused 88k deaths, $9b. it’s at least close

35% is the “pre inflation” number. I don’t do contingency work, but I have seen contracts where it’s 35% if settled pretrial and 45% if there’s a trial. The “legal ethics” issues differ by state, and both sides have their supporters.

45% could result in scrutiny for a very simple case.

I know one guy who does plaintiffs injury work. He wasn’t smart enough to be in AP classes in high school and owns a nicer house than I ever will. He restores old muscle cars as a hobby. He does a lot of advertising. I barely have a business card. (Though I’m now tied in with a firm that does market some–they bring me in for patent litigation defense matters, including pitches to corporate clients.)

My strategy for legal marketing is similar to my strategy for meeting women. Do nothing. It’s funny because I’m a good salesman and can close most deals, but helping clients with their legal problems is a hassle. I would prefer to abide.

Almost got Gaetz. Ah well

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1598375743058284565?s=46&t=5vHfR1uuIRnVSRWS2Q2jNw

1 Like

Good god how many tweets are out there from the likes of Mueller She Wrote insisting that all the insufferable delays are due to Greenberg’s thorough cooperation with prosecutors that will not only put Gaetz away, but probably Roger Stone and Ron DeSantis too. LOL DoJ. LOL these DoJ slappy grifters that are already hyping the SECOND special counsel to keep the cash coming in from rubes who still believe in justice.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1598378137003634688

Didn’t take long to set the bait here. Same old bullshit about all these “sealed filings” and hard-hitting prosecutorial stuff DoJ does behind the scenes that us idiots can’t see or comprehend. Justice is just around the corner, you just have to keep listening to the podcasts and pumping cash into the We Got Him hopium complex to get there.

EDIT 2: (promise last MSW tweet)

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1597086800270356480

“$500K to help fire him” whatever that means. So excited that there’s going to be another SC. Justice is coming tomorrow! Or the day after. Soon, anyway wink. Listen to the latest podcast and check out our affiliates while Merrick Garland, superhero, works behind the scenes.

2 Likes

Got an IRL LOL from her recent victory lap tweet where she unironically touted her long-time experience with Trump special counsel investigations while describing how the news of a special counsel surely meant Trump was done for.

She’s just Bill Mitchell with different politics.

1 Like

Seriously what the hell is wrong with these people their brains are diseased

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1598468921941979136?s=46&t=dkLgc7YDVMk1rbICT_usYA

“Destroyed” aka the next day is same as every other day for her?

1 Like

They’ve been posting this shit for 6 years.

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1598479295152029696?s=46&t=dkLgc7YDVMk1rbICT_usYA

The integrity of the legal profession is important. It’s ok to care about things other than getting Trump.

10 year old charged with murder as an adult.

1 Like

When I was younger, just a bad little kid
My mama noticed funny things I did

2 Likes

Integrity of the legal profession? She gave an order that can’t be described as anything short of “illegal” and she’s still a judge, absolutely nothing has changed.

3 Likes

Law school had to be the most grotesque place I had ever spent time. Well until I went to hours long interviews with the bigger law firms in the area. That was worse.

There really are very, very few decent human beings in the field. They exist but are largely crammed into areas of law where there isn’t much money to be made for obvious reasons.