LOL LAW

Sexual assault is a largely invisible crime, with most of the trauma being mental and the physical signs, if there are any, often able to be hidden by clothing.

Murder is, uh, not like that

2 Likes

Murder cases generally have about a 50-60 percent clearance rate, with a lot of variance either way year to year. Add in the fact that there exist some number of murders that are unreported and/or undetected and I’m sure you’re correct that there are some years where “most” murderers aren’t caught.

True of course but for very disadvantaged populations murders can go undetected and unreported.

https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/

1 Like

In general I would think most murders are noticed. (With the exceptions noted). there is either a body or someone is missing.

Rape victims have fear of shaming, fear of the perpetrator, fear of having to relive the crime on testimony, fear of not being believed, etc.

2 Likes

One of the things I have learned from watching shows like Dateline over the years is that there are a bunch of absolute morons who murder someone in the dumbest way possible and come incredibly close to passing it off as an accident because the police are indifferent and incompetent. Really makes me think that there are tons of successful murders by people that are just a bit less stupid that never get tallied.

3 Likes

Agreed, I think if you murder a stranger and plan it it’s really unlikely you get caught

yeah. if you go a moderate distance from where you live, wear disposable common clothes/gloves, pick up a pipe/brick from the destination, hit someone at random outside of the view of cameras, leave the weapon as soon as you can ditch it somewhere, burn the clothes, drive home and never talk about it.

i’d bet you’re greater than likely to get away with it for the rest of your life for sure. but thankfully the desire to do that is exceedingly low in humans.

2 Likes

Yea exactly, it gets a lot harder if you’re someone that the police would connect to victim straight away and would need alibi etc

That true, but I mean very much the opposite - more like people who kill their spouse and pass it off as an accident or illness. The very best of the low rent true crime stories are when it’s some guy whose wife fell asleep in the bath and drowned or someone’s husband supposedly had a habit of keeping antifreeze in a Gatorade bottle in the fridge and finally got confused. And the cops come over and are like “all looks good here, sorry about your loss”. Seriously just the dumbest people in the world and they come this close to cashing in on that life insurence policy.

We saw one where the husband claimed the wife was a habitual cocaine(?) user and she overdosed on her own.

Years later her parents realized they had frozen breast milk that was dated from when they watched the baby. Able to verify it was her breast milk and nary a sign of drug use.

isn’t it a thing where addicts can OD on a relapse because they go for their old dose of the drug and their body is no longer tolerant of such quantities? I don’t think the clean breastmilk itself proves she was murdered.

His story was that she was a current addict. No way an addict is clean.

It was heroin they think he put in her cereal not cocaine.

Yep. That’s what usually works for me.

10 Likes

My wife and I exchanged numbers at a party when I visiting friends in Ohio. The I went back to see her a few weeks later after a lot of emails and calls.

Her sister was worried I was a serial killer. I just asked- that’s more than one, right? Been together 17, married 14.

3 Likes

I misread the last line as your ages during the meet-cute.

40 and 32 I think, second go around for both.

Re: Colorado Springs shooting

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1594363410132525058?s=20&t=GvPNsIcEbmVXHL4qs-YZkA

I am starting to suspect this MuellerSheWrote person does not have a good grasp of the law.

https://twitter.com/the_law_boy/status/1595186244018995205?s=46&t=a0iZ2XDZnznxxkO0mW9UIg

3 Likes

I bet Neal Katyal feels cheated for not winning this for his child slave labor case.

1 Like