LOL LAW

5-4 heads will recognize this one

What of the argument that Rice was represented by ineffective counsel? It’s a powerful one, at least in the eyes of an ordinary person looking at the facts. That doesn’t mean it carries any weight in a legal system set up in so many ways to protect itself.

The Sixth Amendment guarantees defendants the right to counsel. In a 1984 case, Strickland v. Washington , the U.S. Supreme Court took up the question of just how bad lawyers need to be before their performance proves constitutionally defective. Writing for the majority, Justice Sandra Day O’Connor established a two-part test: A lawyer’s performance falls short of the Sixth Amendment’s right to counsel if (a) it is deficient and (b) that deficiency prejudices the defense, depriving the defendant of a fair trial. The opinion went on to define a deficient counsel as one who “made errors so serious that counsel was not functioning as the ‘counsel’ guaranteed the defendant by the Sixth Amendment”—a definition that is not only vague but circular. The inadequacy of the standard has allowed a patchwork of different rules to proliferate across the country. A lawyer can sleep during part of a client’s cross-examination, or be arrested for drunk driving on the way to court, or be mentally unstable, or have been disbarred midway through a trial without sinking to the level of constitutionally defective performance—all of these instances have been adjudicated in various jurisdictions. This spring, the Supreme Court further restricted the right to claim ineffective counsel as the basis for an appeal. Justice Sonia Sotomayor, writing in dissent, declared that the decision “reduces to rubble” a defendant’s Sixth Amendment guarantee. Most of the largest counties across the country have a system like Philadelphia’s, where court-appointed attorneys such as Sandjai Weaver are among the only options for defendants like C. J. Rice.

Justice Thurgood Marshall, the sole dissenter in the Strickland case, faulted the ruling for a “debilitating ambiguity” that compelled judges to rely on “intuitions” about what constitutes ineffective counsel. Under Pennsylvania’s Post Conviction Relief Act, the person whose intuition matters is the original trial judge—this is the person who first considers an appeal. When the matter came before him, Denis Cohen, the judge who had wished Rice good luck, found that Weaver was not deficient counsel. (Through a spokesperson for the Philadelphia courts, Cohen declined to comment, referring to his opinions in Rice’s case.)

The reality is that Commonwealth v. Charles J. Rice represents nothing out of the ordinary. The Conviction Integrity Unit’s caseload captures the situation in a single city, but the same reality exists everywhere. Reforms, even if enacted, would scarcely touch the deeper dysfunction—not just of the criminal-justice system but of neighborhoods and schools. In too many cases, “reform” simply allows dysfunction to remain functional. Rice’s story has produced no bumper stickers or T-shirts or movies. There is no corrupt cop or evil prosecutor. There is only doubtful evidence, deficient counsel, and the relentless grind of the criminal-justice system itself. Rice’s story is meaningful precisely because it is not unusual. Change the details, and it is the story of tens of thousands of poor defendants and the accumulation of large and small injustices that define their lives.

The only unusual thing about Rice’s story is the quirk of fate—his doctor is the father of a journalist—that has gained it any attention at all. To examine his case is to watch a conveyor belt leading in a single direction, with escape routes slamming shut the moment each is glimpsed: a public defender rather than a court-appointed attorney; a routine check of cellphone data; a timely notice of alibi; the right questions put to a dubious eyewitness; a Kloiber instruction by the judge; a request for hospital records; the testimony of an independent medical expert; a defense counsel familiar with the crime scene; a Sixth Amendment that is taken seriously.

Let me state the obvious, in personal terms: With evidence as meager as that against Rice, no prosecutor in the country would even have charged me, a white man with resources. If it had—and if I’d had legal representation worthy of the name—no jury would have brought a conviction.

2 Likes

Legal ethics. This guy warns about a predator gets fined $400k. Church spokesperson says good decision.

What an absolute joke of a profession. The job is literally accessing and navigating corruption on behalf of an assortment of clients, and most of the clients with paying work are rich assholes.

1 Like

Michael Clayton was a documentary

1 Like

Except in real life they pay him off and none of the drama ever happens.

Rudy is to the left of Roberts. He’s never getting confirmed by an R senate.

He may have been at one point, but are we sure that is still true now?

I don’t think he would ever be confirmed either, but not for that specific reason.

Authoritarians are notorious for going whichever way gets and keeps them power.

Usually the right cause that’s where the suckers are. But they really aren’t left or right.

Rudy does not know which way is up at this point.

Imagine being a church and filing for bankruptcy in an attempt to shield assets in advance of multiple sexual assault lawsuits. top lel as always

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1582118784764035073?s=46&t=h8_s_vmyZyrQMVaIu1QvbQ

tenor

1 Like

Support terrorism, pay fine!

https://twitter.com/kendilaniannbc/status/1582368072341409792?s=46&t=Fp1E6foIuIHCHdC1qqpfZg

I’m always impressed with how long these fucking guys can drag these things out in courts. It seems like every 2 months there’s some ruling that “Graham must testify before Georgia grand jury” and then there’s no set date and there’s some blurb at the end about how he’ll drag it out even more. LOL LAW

Graham’s lawyers and Senate office did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the decision, but have previously said that they would seek relief from the Supreme Court if the appeals court declined to step in.

If Graham’s attorneys can’t get emergency help from the high court, the senator will have to appear before the special grand jury or risk prosecution for contempt of court. However, the appeals court decision leaves open Graham’s ability to assert “speech or debate” immunity in response to specific questions. Those claims would then be litigated further.

“Should there be a dispute over whether a given question about Senator Graham’s phone calls asks about investigatory conduct, the Senator may raise those issues at that time,” the 11th Circuit panel wrote in its six-page order.

So who knows how long until the Supreme Court would even look at this. And even if he does finally get dragged in there on the first question he’ll just assert whatever this “speech or debate” bullshit is and then what, they have to go to another judge to figure it out? Fuck all of this.

1 Like

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.

But prosecutors failed to present evidence that Barrack had reached any agreement with the Emirates to work for them.

it’s okay to try to advance UAE interests, but burden of proof is that they never actually agreed to advance their interests.

Barrack, who testified in his own defense, and his attorneys seem to have persuaded jurors that his actions, whether or not ethical, were not against the law.

“look, jurors, i admit i am an unethical fuck, but last i checked, that’s not banned by the US constitution.”

https://twitter.com/klasfeldreports/status/1592261257033584641?s=46&t=FmdIKT4D-Xx4s85N1boqPQ

What no way!

Ah! well. nevertheless

2 Likes

Apparently only black women have the balls to go after these guys. (James, Willis).

Lol.

On the general topic of the thread title, a significant turning point in my political thought took place when I extended an inference from the rates at which sexual assault is reported and prosecuted, and how the system still handles the guilty with kid gloves, to other crimes, most notably murder. I’m willing to wager that most murder is never caught, never reported, and never detected (including scenarios where the only people who know about the crime can’t or won’t come forward). What say you?