LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

I think Canadians like myself and Clovis can’t really feel what it’s like to not have healthcare coverage, have to buy insurance you can’t afford or go without etc like so many Americans do. I think its wild he so often does the “no its the kids who are wrong” meme without irony.

4 Likes

If only my ability to feel what it’s like to not have healthcare had anything at all to do with the absolute unarguable fact that a huge portion of the US population can afford healthcare this week that they couldn’t last week.

2 Likes

None of this can possibly betrue because I go on cruises LDO. :grinning:

Isn’t this basically the centrist argument for Obamacare?

I have no idea what you are trying to claim.

Your comment that we are closer to M4A than fascism was the statement you made that I disagreed with. If you make a comment like that it seems like you don’t understand the struggles of many people here that live in a fascist state. I then told you why I think a portion of our population lives in a fascist state and you agreed with what I said.

So if you still believe we are closer to M4A than fascism even though a segment of society lives in a fascist state then I don’t know what to make of that.

The odds of a republican winning in 2024 and making society more fascist for many people are probably way higher than M4A being supported by half the democrats at that point

6 Likes

I am curious about how this is being framed. Because the NYT article states the following:

So, this is a temporary increase in the child tax credit. Maybe I’m missing something, but temporary tax credits /= raising kids up out of poverty permanently. When this temporary credit expires does that mean that the dems and the media will write new articles saying that they’ve doubled child poverty? Because it seems to me that the honest way for the media to present this would be that this tax credit temporarily decreases child poverty. If the GOP or Trump or Fox News had done a temporary tax credit and tried to frame it this way, I feel like we’d view that claim skeptically.

5 Likes

I think they made it temporary to make reconciliation work with idea it will become permanent one way or another once it takes effect because it is so popular.

Similar to how Rs made the corporate tax cuts permanent but the more popular and smaller middle class tax cuts temporary for reconciliation reasons. Believe they even technically increased middle class taxes long-term but were like no way will the steep hikes be allowed to take affect when the time comes, and if they somehow do, blame Ds!

The Ds got the media to call them out on it somewhat obviously because I know about it but think Rs generally got the framing the wanted out of it.

I appreciate you sharing the article. It confirms that it is temporary, and that Biden supports permanence, and that at least one Dem senator thinks it will become permanent. Hopefully, this doesn’t end up like the “$2k checks going out immediately” promise.

ETA: or hopefully they don’t make it permanent using the Mitt Romney proposal which would make it permanent, but would be offset by cuts elsewhere, which seems like a shell game to me.

1 Like

Wouldn’t put it past them to not make it permanent but once a social program is going it is much more difficult to take it away. The inertia should give it a pretty good chance of becoming permanent.

1 Like

Biden: I want $300 million for police

House Dems: After looking back at the police performance in 2020 let’s make it $750 million!

7 Likes

And the award for the most disingenuous read of a post ever goes to…

5 Likes

Well, of course, because they lie about everything, and aggressively hate the poor. They blame the poor for their plight in fact.

I do not credulously accept the claims made by Democrats on a host of issues, but I do believe they truly do want to eradicate childhood poverty, and it is clear the bill takes significant steps towards doing so.

There are many fellow humans in this country who will get relief from this bill. I am glad that they will, as I’m sure you are too.

I agree that the GOP and right wing media blame the poor for their plight. That is misdirection and deflection. Gross levels of poverty in the richest nation in world history are not the result of personal foibles and failures of those who are marginalized and suffering the most. The actual truth is that where there is systemic poverty, there is something wrong with the system.

The Dem politicians who are subservient to their corporate and Wall St. masters also deflect from the actual truth–the system is the illness, and poverty is but one of its symptoms. Thus their attempts to combat poverty tend to be limited to treating the symptoms while not only ignoring the disease, but actually defending and championing it. Like an oncologist who prescribes rogain and a buffet dinner to their bald, emaciated chemo patient while telling them that their tumor is actually the thing that’s keeping them alive.

Perhaps there are Dem politicians that truly want to eradicate childhood poverty. I can’t read their minds, but as long as the scope of their solutions are limited to treating the symptoms while preserving the system, they’ll be as unsuccessful at eradicating poverty as that oncologist is at healing their cancer patient.

8 Likes

no idea if true, but seems appropriate

4 Likes

I am curious if you’re willing to set forth some policies and/or ideas regarding this thought.

I wonder if there are any systems that exist that could fully eradicate systemic poverty. I wonder if those systems can realistically be advanced in a society as diverse in thought as the US. I also wonder if the implementation of those systems could have unintended negative consequences given the magnitude of the endeavor. I do think that temporary solutions are preferable to inaction.

I actually think this bill is more akin to providing chemotherapy to the cancer patient. It’s just unfortunate there’s no cure yet for cancer. That would be the systematic solution in the analogy, as I read it.

Not true. Very loosely based on something. The great Frans De Waal mentioned in the debunking.

4 Likes

So, I have been appointed as a delegate to the CA democratic party, representing the current 50th Congressional district.

Should I start a blog about my coming two years as a cog in the political machine?

• Yes, insider knowledge
  • No, that’s fucking boring
  • Bastard!

0 voters