LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

Bill of Rights?

Plus another 3 of them required a civil war. Fairly :harold: overall record there all things considered.

Actually ours is better.

Given the situation with the Articles of Confederation, the Constitution of 1789 looks a lot like the “best of all possible worlds,” but (like most significant contracts, treaties, etc.) it has significant internal tensions and major unresolved questions.

A significant strength was, at least in the last 80 years, the Supreme Court would go with the flow of events and interpret the Constitution in light of some balance of common sense, developing society, textual literalism, and history/stare decisis (this is one reason “smart” contracts are very bad). Things have only gotten really weird (the current version of really weird, because the court has been bad in different ways over most of US history) since the current Court is out to enact revenge for basic changes in society.

I would certainly be open to a rewritten Constitution, but I regard that as basically impossible. It would take a major cataclysm, like 50% of people dead sort of thing.

download.jpeg-7

Why is the system of government meant to appease landlords not working well for the general population? This is as mysterious as Elon Musk’s political beliefs!

1982? We have to grade on a curve.

1 Like

Omnibus passed and Nancy going out smoothly. This is what peak performance looks like.

The bill was the last major legislative accomplishment of the 117th Congress and set aside $858 billion in funds for the military that Republicans pushed for and more than $772 billion for the education, health and veterans programs Democrats have championed. The measure, approved just before Christmas Eve, is the second major government funding bill passed during the Biden administration and served as the final opportunity for congressional Democrats to shape the federal budget while they retain control of both chambers.

On nearly party lines, the House approved the more than 4,000-page bill by a vote of 225 to 201, with one lawmaker voting present, a day after it was shepherded through the Senate. It concluded a scramble driven by the threat of both a government shutdown and a winter storm, a desire to enact unfinished legislation before the start of divided government next month, and a surprise appearance in Washington this week by President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, who urged continued investment in his country’s fight against Russian invasion.

1 Like

Except ours has “because fuck you, that’s why” enshrined in law.

Lol, Chrétien looks totally schnookered in that photo.

858 billion for the military and comfortable idiots will log on to a message board to be like hell yeah this is amazing slurp slurp

6 Likes

Thats a feature not a bug.

If the US has a perfect record of bad, then Alexander Hamilton’s idea of the president as an elected king/president serving for life unless impeached and having absolute veto power would be an improvement. Hamilton also wanted Senators to have a lifetime tenure.

I don’t think it requires something that bad, but it does require a crisis worse than the Great Depression. I am pessimistic about the ability to properly address an issue like climate change without that sort of shift in how government works.

Yikes

Five minutes later … we regret to inform you that Stacey Adams is grifting

1 Like

Look on the bright side at least we got the child tax credit renewed. Oh wait …

https://twitter.com/RalphNader/status/1603185825407438851

the lol #resistance replies to this are extremely predictable

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1605553399386103808

1 Like

They’re part of a tight bipartisan crew of former and current House members that has included Sinema, Peters, Reps. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), Michael McCaul (R-Texas) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), former Reps. Tom Graves (R-Ga.) and Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.), retiring Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.), and others. Even now-Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy would hang out.

Rice: I have seen every iteration of power in my eight years. There’s been a Democratic president, Republican president, Democratic House, Republican House, Democratic Senate, Republican Senate. When people say to me, ‘Oh, are you leaving because you know you’re probably going to be in the minority?’ I say, ‘Actually, no. But ironically enough, the worst two years ever was when Democrats were in control of everything.’

That was this last Congress. We were acting — and the rhetoric out of Democrats — was like, ‘We have this mandate.’

Murphy: Five seats in the House is not a mandate [laughs].

1 Like

Imagine that

No one wanted to fucking listen to me man when I tried to tell you guys about her.

1 Like

Can you elaborate what your concern is re: Fair Fight Action spending?

What did you tell us? I don’t remember it.