LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

They better if they don’t want people like you working to toss them into for profit prison camps.

Eidt: I see that you deleted but I’m not resorting to your games. You want to fight, I’ll fight. Stop trying to stack the deck with your nonsense.

Since you’re “as wealthy as doctors” I’m just curious how much you’ve personally donated to Raices this year? It sounds like I make less than you, but I bet it’s less than I have.

You’re not making one yourself.

Me either, but if the federal government forgives the loans, paying them back would be silly. That’s not “just because.” That’s “because the federal government said not to.”

I don’t think many people think this is the main problem with the administration. They think it’s a good one to go after the administration on because they view it as an obvious issue that is completely within the purview of the executive branch, thus it’s hard to make any excuses for the administration.

Also if 99% of people here agree about the detention centers, there’s not going to be much discussion about it. Are we supposed to all post once per day “Fuck Biden for the camps!” or something? Like, we discuss it occasionally, there’s almost universal agreement, we express anger/disappointment, and then we move on because there’s nothing we can do other than be upset about it.

On this topic, there is often strategic discussion or disagreement, thus it gets discussed a lot.

I think most of your comments are very different than they’d otherwise be because you’re directing them at people you don’t like and looking to be an attack dog. You and I wouldn’t even be having this discussion right now if you’d just suggested that they donate the amount of their forgiveness to charity instead of paying it to the evil war mongering concentration camp running government you’re always railing against.

That’d be a principled argument in line with your other stances. But, free speech and all, have at it.

Not necessarily. The whole reason jman comparing your arguments to a Fox News host was an insult is because everyone here knows that most of your views are 180 degrees away from a Fox News host and that you detest their politics. It’s also kind of like saying, “Be careful of the company you keep.” Like hey man, you’re saying the same thing Tucker Carlson says, you sure you want to make that argument?

IMO that’s an effective way to point out to someone that they’re making a poor argument to support their position and/or that they are taking a position that is antithetical to their other views.

1 Like

that’s pretty rich. have you seen strikes at a hospital? you should visit one. the patients keep coming through the door past the striking nurses and residents.

1 Like

nope

1 Like

I think nurses have been at least somewhat effective at unionizing and getting results from that. I think residents are less inclined to unionize because they see themselves on the other side of residency and wouldn’t want to mess that up.

Serious question: is there any significant movement to make private university tuition free? I don’t think there is, and I wouldn’t support that. My ideal system would be that everyone gets something like 6 years of free tuition in public post-high school universities/colleges/trade schools, but I’d support anything moving in that general direction that had traction.

I think that’s the fairest way to do it because for those who prefer or are more cut out for a blue collar job, they get a couple of opportunities to retrain if their job goes away. They’d probably use 2 years right after high school, and have a couple additional 2-year stints in school banked for later, if needed. I’d be fine with also supplementing with some help with living expenses while in school/retraining. People who go beyond a bachelors degree also get some help, but maybe not all of it - this lessens the burden on the poor but doesn’t provide as much help to those who are likely to be high earners when they graduate.

But regardless, I don’t think there’s a big push for making private universities free. I suppose perhaps for the poor via scholarships - expanding on what we already have in place to a very small degree? I’d be fine with that, too.

Making private universities free would be terrible public policy. Making public universities free would be great public policy. Hell, if you look at the relative cost of public universities 75 years ago versus today, you’d see that we were close to that very system 75 years ago.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with any of this other than I would have been more polite about it if I were arguing about this with people who weren’t jerks.

1 Like

free public education is good policy, regardless of personal responsibility of those who take advantage of the chance. same as free/tax-funded public healthcare regardless of the personal responsibility of those who take advantage of the care. same as free/guaranteed public housing regardless of the personal responsibility of those who end up in public housing. well you get the idea.

I agree, but I also think that making public universities free or ~free and then having the wealthiest people send their kids to expensive private schools that serve as pipelines to Wall Street and Congress and K Street and C Suites is problematic. But, they already have the pipelines now so at least reducing/eliminating public university tuition is a step in the right direction.

Dunno. I was just answering VFS’s question.

No idea what Raices is, so you’re probably right. But in any case we donate $10k/year to various things at the moment. I don’t particularly care if that’s more of less than you or what anybody else thinks about if that’s “enough” or not. It has no bearing on being able to share my opinion here.

2 Likes

you have to categorize further, private non-profit and for-profit, because that’s the system we have. but in general, i don’t see why the government would deny the cost of public college to a student trying to go to a private university based on scholarship and need.

i don’t believe in converting to a voucher system, but i am saying that the government could negotiate the tuition bills with private institutions on behalf of students who can go ivy league vs adirondack state or whatever. same cost-saving negotiations that we are all in favor of in the medicare/va argument.

I assume he means https://actionnetwork.org/groups/raices-refugee-and-immigrant-center-for-education-and-legal-services, but that’s pretty specific.

IDK guys, I think this Tucker Carlson guy makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

somewhat effective is toothless. you have to go state by state and see where the unions achieved anything. wherever they did achieve something has been completely obliterated by covid, insurance, disappearing public funding.

Oh boy, you should take a look at SDN forums.

This is actual gaslighting.

It is an invalid form of argument that is extremely effective here due to the social stigma of identity politics.

2 Likes