LOL Democrats - Tik Tok on the clock, but the party don't stop

There are many fellow humans in this country who will get relief from this bill. I am glad that they will, as I’m sure you are too.

I agree that the GOP and right wing media blame the poor for their plight. That is misdirection and deflection. Gross levels of poverty in the richest nation in world history are not the result of personal foibles and failures of those who are marginalized and suffering the most. The actual truth is that where there is systemic poverty, there is something wrong with the system.

The Dem politicians who are subservient to their corporate and Wall St. masters also deflect from the actual truth–the system is the illness, and poverty is but one of its symptoms. Thus their attempts to combat poverty tend to be limited to treating the symptoms while not only ignoring the disease, but actually defending and championing it. Like an oncologist who prescribes rogain and a buffet dinner to their bald, emaciated chemo patient while telling them that their tumor is actually the thing that’s keeping them alive.

Perhaps there are Dem politicians that truly want to eradicate childhood poverty. I can’t read their minds, but as long as the scope of their solutions are limited to treating the symptoms while preserving the system, they’ll be as unsuccessful at eradicating poverty as that oncologist is at healing their cancer patient.

8 Likes

no idea if true, but seems appropriate

4 Likes

I am curious if you’re willing to set forth some policies and/or ideas regarding this thought.

I wonder if there are any systems that exist that could fully eradicate systemic poverty. I wonder if those systems can realistically be advanced in a society as diverse in thought as the US. I also wonder if the implementation of those systems could have unintended negative consequences given the magnitude of the endeavor. I do think that temporary solutions are preferable to inaction.

I actually think this bill is more akin to providing chemotherapy to the cancer patient. It’s just unfortunate there’s no cure yet for cancer. That would be the systematic solution in the analogy, as I read it.

Not true. Very loosely based on something. The great Frans De Waal mentioned in the debunking.

4 Likes

So, I have been appointed as a delegate to the CA democratic party, representing the current 50th Congressional district.

Should I start a blog about my coming two years as a cog in the political machine?

• Yes, insider knowledge
  • No, that’s fucking boring
  • Bastard!

0 voters

Anybody wants on to my ‘if I were mod for a day ban list’ all they have to do is vote no.

2 Likes

I mean jmakin just had a thing in admin log wondering about ways we might be able to expand the site…

Dont ban oreo

1 Like

Post one could be “wtf is a delegate”.

That might be post 2, following post 1 - wtf is the Democratic party supposed to be?

1 Like

What Dele of Tottenham been up too Jal?

Clovis, I agree with some of what you’re saying and I think a lot of good will come from this bill passing. I am NOT attacking you personally here.

That being said, can you break this quoted claim down for me? Cause I dont see how $1400, or $6500 or whatever these one time payments and credits will equal, will allow anybody to afford healthcare that couldn’t before. Maybe a healthy person that doesn’t need a lot of that money for other expenses, sure. But anybody with any medical condition? Yea, no. Not in America #192. Healthcare is ungodly expensive here and a one time stimulus will not be changing the ability of people to pay for it.

Now I know the stimulus bill includes some changes to ACA/Medicare eligibility, but nothing I have seen seems like it will be a lasting effect. Some more people will have access to subsidized healthcare for two years. That’s great but does nothing to address the problem. It’s great that “people who couldn’t afford healthcare last week can afford it this week”, but what about next week?

I admit that you very likely know more about how this bill addresses healthcare costs than I do, so I am genuinely asking for an elaboration so that I can better understand.

1 Like

That’s what the GOP has said for decades: Democrats want to keep the poor poor. Trump really drilled that message. It’s conspiracy nonsense to me.

The reason an underclass exists is because Lake Wobegon is fictional.

Haha, wow.

The lefties definition of poverty seems to be: people who have significantly less than the median resources. It’s impossible to eliminate that regardless of how much redistribution the government does.

Neither of those things are true.

7 Likes

Try instead:
Housing, food, healthcare, and education are guaranteed for everybody.

Get this to 100% of the population.

It’s not having below median which is the problem, it’s the incentives that poverty creates. When you are fighting for housing, food, healthcare, and education, it’s not bargaining – it’s a gun to your head.

17 Likes

9 Likes