Let's fight about artists with one clear *best* song

Title says it all. Obviously one hit wonders don’t count here. Has to be a prolific band or artist with at least 4-5 hits. I suggest bolding the title and artist to it’s easier to skim to it - then point and laugh.

I’ll start with Rod Stewart - Maggie May. Great lyrics, great tune, eternal theme of young adult angst - and an iconic line I say to myself about once a week in random situations - “… or steal my daddy’s cue and make a living out of playyyyyying pool.”

Also just for the hell of it lets do movie directors as well. Paul Thomas Anderson - Boogie Nights. Anyone who disagrees with this should probably be perma’d, then reported to the local authorities for good measure.

1 Like

Boogie Nights isn’t clearly better than There Will Be Blood. I’d say Memento for Nolan though, clearly better than any other film he has done.

2 Likes

Post reported. Also I’ve never seen TWBB but it doesn’t matter. Boogie Nights is the second most perfect movie next to Alien.

1 Like

It’s arguably a Bryan Adams song more than Rod Stewart, but All for Love is the best part of an already Top Five movie

TWBB is infinitely rewatchable. I want to be funny with you, but we need to be serious for a second. Your life is objectively missing something until you’ve seen TwBB at least once.

1 Like

Can’t imagine there are too many of these that people are going to agree with.

I disagree.

Maybe I’ll get drunk and watch it tonight. I haven’t seen No Country for Old Men either.

1 Like

Also, define “hits.” Like does Top 40 qualify? J. Geils Band - Love Stinks topped out at 38 on Billboard and I’d argue is a well-known song. They have 10 Top 40 hits and a clear best in Centerfold which peaked at #1 and is easily their best song.

You’re dead to me until that changes

1 Like

Bohemian Rhapsody is No 1 by a mile…

Alien is No 1 too I can’t disagree there alough The Good The Bad & The Ugly is 1 of my all time Fav movies, possibly with the best soundtrack ever too. :joy:

Alough those Goodfellas were a real hit too. :blush:

When you come from where I am, Maggie May was the song that you ran out the door from as a kid because you knew you’re mother would make you cringe. :kissing_heart:

Great movie with a top 3 Villian of all time. You need to watch NCFOM.

3 Likes

This is honestly a strange position for you to be in, as those movies came out at the same time, and most people fall into the category of which one they saw/prefer. You’re in for a treat.

The big talk when NCfOM came out was how upset people were with the ending. It’s not a twist or anything, so no spoilers. I won’t say more than that, but people ITT who saw it when it came out should know what I’m referring to.

Bohemian Rhapsody for Queen should be non-controversial.

3 Likes

I remember an interview with Javier Bardem, who played Chigurh, where he said the Coens warned him when he took the role that this haircut would mean he wouldn’t get laid for at least a year.

I’ve always thought You Wear It Well is almost as good as Maggie May.

1 Like

So basically a list of one-hit wonders, right?

As for directors, Milos Forman for One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

1 Like

George Lucas-Star Wars
Wachowskis-The Matrix
Frank Darabont-Shawshank Redemption

Bohemian Rhapsody is No 1 by a mile…

Disagree entirely but I don’t really understand how we are rating this. Am I giving sheep answers or my own subjective justification?

Not a fan of biopics normally, but Amadeus is really great.

I’ll try, though. Wichita Lineman?

2 Likes