Let's Buy Advertising to Attract New Users

Interesting. Ok if that’s the case then bad idea on my part.

We’re looking for smart reality based people IMO. I don’t think it’s a good idea to get more targeted than that.

lol at any of us knowing any super-hot young girls

1 Like

It’s not a terrible idea honestly. I’m fine with outsourcing stuff if no one wants to do it. You just very much get what you pay for, which could be sufficient for us. I certainly don’t wanna do it, lol. No offense to anyone, it’s just not my strength.

if it’s an artist in an internet cafe and $5 will make their day, then cool. if it’s an artist in seattle selling an hour+ of their effort for $5 it’s sad, and unfortunately sites like fiver prevent a community like ours from hiring a professional artist full time with decent benefits

Replace all of these "would"s with "will"s and we’re in business. The goal of this thread is to move away from idealized hypotheticals and toward practical actions.

1 Like

I know a guy who built a complete working demonstration site that effectively did exactly that but nobody was interested in contributing.

The site needs compelling content to attract new users.
Compelling content takes work to create.
Nobody is willing to put real work into this place.
None of the things being discussed will ever happen just like none of the things that ever get discussed ever happen because they all require work.

People need to enjoy what we have while we have it and accept that it won’t be here forever.

3 Likes

Eh, I think it’s more of a lack of leadership than anything else. People want to do stuff they just don’t know what.

1 Like

I want to create content. I’m just lazy.

Hogwash, we’ve been doing fine having zero compelling content.

3 Likes

A podcast could be fun. I would try to contribute to that.

We could just take the hottest topics of the week, pick out good posts from them, maybe get drunk doing it.

2 Likes

It could have worked as a two way street easily enough and the backend was already there as a general purpose publishing platform. I dropped the project because you were the only other person who ever bothered to seriously look at it and I was tired of paying for the hosting.

Next frame of banner: Unstuck Politics

All done!

At this point if we did it would be a poster’s daughter…

1 Like

Come on, man. Don’t be that guy.

I’ll be that guy: we’re all olds.

I mean don’t be the old that is weird about other poster’s daughters.

The algorithm to select the hot topics should be to count posts in the last n hours. The OP can be there, ending with ellipses, along with the topic summary that is available in every topic.

A featured topic area can either be tagged (do we have tags or labels?) or based on upvotes, like Reddit.

When you say manually, did you edit a file and put references to the content, copy/paste content into a file, or something else?

1 Like

Giving a young person a spectacular opportunity to be in show business is weird?

1 Like

I appreciate all of the ideas that have been put forth, and everyone’s input.

One thing that I’m curious about is why there is so little(basically none) growth of forum users via word-of-mouth. Are people recommending UP to friends? If not, why not? If they are recommending the site to friends, what is missing that would have made the experience “sticky”?

I’ve mentioned the site to a couple of friends who would probably fit in well–intelligent, into crypto, good game players, not Trump supporters, etc. My feeling is that they are a combo of busy with other things in life and/or use reddit for information or conversation.

2 Likes