Let’s talk about rotating moderation, and get rid of it.

(post deleted by auth0r)

Shouldn’t prisoners be allowed a say in sentencing?

1 Like

I was about to post the same thing. There has been less arguing (and need for moderation) lately. Last thing we need is some big argument over something like this.

1 Like

RFC didn’t cause dumb shit to fight about, it just created a format to follow in arguing about dumb shit.

I’m going to say that jman is stirring shit, but also that forced rotating mods is a dumb idea. I could live with a compromise of six month terms while getting rid of term limits, since term limits are my main objection.

2 Likes

I think because jman wasn’t getting any traction with his recent troll attempts.

4 Likes

Agreed. I think the best course of action as played is for everyone to vote your choice and try not to stir up any additional drama.

1 Like

Yeah it’ll a seamless, argument-free transition if/when this gets up.

About Unstuck is mainly a barometer of drama, not a cause of drama. The next time we have some major forum controversy, this space will fill up.

Damn, I’m gone a couple of weeks, and no more RFC system or rotating mods?

I see community moderation has worked out about the same as community policing probably would. There is a reason why the lunatics aren’t allowed to run the asylum.

I saw the new banner and wanted to post that I didn’t want to vote for new mods and whoever proposed the 6-month system should be mod. However, your post is much more well thought out.

1 Like

Rotating mods seems to be working well, as long as we continue to select those unlikely to stir it up

Let’s talk about moderation

:vince1:

And get rid of it

:vince:

1 Like
Do you want to keep the six month term length?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don’t know/Not sure

0 voters

Do you still want to limit mods to a single term at a time?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don’t know/Not sure

0 voters

I’m against a permanent law enforcement class. The Mamluk empire tried this and we all know how that worked out

8 Likes

Worked extremely well last time I played EU4.

4 Likes

My counter-proposal is mod term length of one year instead of six months and limit mods to two or three consecutive terms instead of one term at a time.

1 Like

I always have a tough time with ottomans when playing as mamluks. The times I’m able to defend against their incursions in the levant, they just expand in any number of other directions until they get so strong I have no chance. And Austria never agrees to ally with me because they’re racists

3 Likes

Should minimization of drama really be the primary goal?

I’ve described debates over moderation many times as tension between those who want the forum to be moderated to create something they want to read vs those who want the forum to be moderated to create a space where they want to post. Rotating mods, getting rid of elections, these things don’t decrease that tension.

A forum like this is shit of people don’t post, so I want to err on the side of encouraging people to post, no matter how bad their opinions or how poorly they write, but I also don’t think bad posters deserve a safe space free from criticism. Whatever drama naturally arises from those circumstances should be tolerated so long as they don’t exceed some level of decorum that we agree upon. The method by which we agree upon such things should be determined by majoritarian rather than consensus democracy. The people who want to rid the forum of drama because they don’t want to read that shit are fighting something organic that is to be expected.

2 Likes

So I’ll go ahead and close this poll after it’s been open for 7 days. The fact that there is a link to it in the first post of the moderator nomination thread I think has driven a decent amount of traffic to it, but certainly if a moderator wants to banner it so that we make sure everyone sees it, that seems reasonable.

Edit: So poll is currently 3 days old, so would stay live for another 4 days.