Led Zeppelin Tournament Bracket

Page retorts: You can play with doves, mate, but I’m going to wear wizard pants and play my guitar with a violin bow!

3 Likes

Jimmy Page had already been in The Yardbirds (as well as other bands) and Robert Plant was a 19 year old kid. I think the pitch was more like:

Page: Do you want to be in me band?
Plant: hell yeah

2 Likes

Thanks Buzz Killington

4 Likes

Exactly.

They sat up in Page’s flat and he played Plant some blues tracks they both liked and stuff like Rumble as an idea of the heavier sound he wanted.

And then something like “I might know a drummer from my Black Country days who’d fit with that” was said sooner or later.

1 Like

He couldn’t even read music when he played on his first session, and had to blag his way through it.

1 Like

Its funny to think how Page and JpJ were really busy studio guys before this band. Just playing their litle part behind the singer on a bunch of records you’ve heard.

1 Like

TIL! That’s some good trivia, thanks.

1 Like

Never heard that, but maybe that doesn’t really sound like him.

This sounds more like him

1 Like

Best one on the list is that Page is behind the most famous air guitarist.

2 Likes

Definitely some surprises for me on that list. Season of the Witch (my fav Donovan song!) also sounds very proto-Jimmy, now that I know it’s him. Most of the other tracks could be anybody tho.

1 Like

Region I is closed for business. No huge surprises. I personally like Custard Pie over Tangerine so that one sucks for me, but on the flipside Ten Years Gone pulled it out in a close one over How Many More Times (but now it runs into Kashmir.) Obviously Stairway stomps next round as well, but I’m sure it will be slightly closer as Houses will get more votes than Candy Store Rock. Region II closes tomorrow night and I’ll get the votes going for Region III sometime tomorrow.

2 Likes

Ten Years Gone >> Kashmir, come at me

2 Likes

I THINK I’m voting Kashmir, but it’s not something I’m going to pull the trigger on right away. I really love Ten Years Gone.

1 Like

Custard Pie knocked out in the first round is a pretty bad beat.

Tangerine is one of their weakest songs imo.

Ten years gone v Kashmir and Heartbreaker v The Ocean will be tough. I’ll be thinking about them.

One of the worst takes I’ve ever seen from you.

Kashmir and Heartbreaker for me, I think.

No accounting for taste. I’m pretty sure you love some of the Pink Floyd I’m not too fond of too.

Are you saying you don’t like Kashmir or Heartbreaker?

Especially not liking Heartbreaker is a little weird. The guitar gets very sloppy and lost in parts, but it’s a pretty Led Zeppelinny standard song.

I go back and forth on Kashmir over the years, but I like it a lot now. I’m not at all against the repetitive droning lately.

Ah no, I meant those are probably my picks, though I do love The Ocean.

1 Like

I’m going Ten Years Gone and The Ocean. Not really because I think they’re stronger songs than what they are going against, but because they sound fresher to me and I still want to hear them. (And they are basically toss ups anyway.)

1 Like