Leaving The US

Or you can just pay cash. A friend of my daughter was in a scooter accident in Thailand, had an ambulance ride and stayed in a hospital. I don’t remember what the cost was. I could ask. But it was crazy cheap, like $150 for everything.

1 Like

Because of this thread I found out that I can apply for British citizenship because my Dad is a citizen. Huh.

2 Likes

Why would you what to (maybe I’m reading that wrong and you don’t)? If the Tories force through a no deal Brexit with the idea of somehow turning Britain into a low tech low tax low wage Singapore life will probably be even worse and more expensive here.

It only “works” in Singapore because of a compliant population with a strong work ethic and few of the uncertainties of a full democracy.

Is returning to Canada an option?

1 Like

Yeah, I think the only winkle there is if your dad is British by descent rather than birth (so got it for the same reason you can), but that’s the only reason my son has any nationality!

Can’t help but agree with jalfrezi, though.

1 Like

Well I don’t want to get into too many details, but in 2-4 years I will be looking for work all over the world, so it’s nice to know where I have options for citizen status.

edit: but yeah, Canada would be ideal.

Ok, at least in 2 to 4 years things should be a bit clearer here.

Singapore is very interesting, but it’s a city-state and it shouldn’t be assumed that countries can function the same way. It’s also about 5% foreign workers.

In what countries is it easiest to be an undocumented law-breaking hobo?

The main concern is that it’s a deregulated economy, fulfilling the Tory dream of shitty quality imported food and other goods for the poor to boost profits for their elite donors, and even fewer workers rights once we’ve left the EU.

The plan would also have been to asset strip the NHS, but that might be more problematic for them in the covid era.

Johnson and his Eton chums hate poor people, disparage them and make jokes about them, and their long term plan is to reduce the proportion of poor people not by raising their living standard but by reducing their life expectancy and the size of their families.

Cuba as long as you’re not Cuban. Looking back 20 years it’s hard to believe the number of times we broke the law there, with the street police doing 180 degree turns to pretend they hadn’t noticed.

You’ll meet people very, very easily and could get a job teaching maths, say, and bum your way around the island. Or you could install some solar there.

Hmm, will they allow me back in the US after that?

It is still difficult to travel to Cuba as a US citizen, but easier than it used to be.

As long as you dont get a stamp in your passport will they ever know? We had to do a similar thing in case I ever wanted to go to the US again, by getting a separate visa with its own stamp.

I’m pretty sure you still need to fly out of a non-US airport if you don’t want to be buried in paperwork and lots of records showing you made the trip.

Sure, a trip up to Canada or to another Caribbean island first might do it.

Argentina. Overstayed my 90 day visa by 2 years. 50 buck fine when I left. No questions asked.

Uruguay. My last 90 day visa ran out 4 years ago. No1curr.

5 Likes

Add Mexico. I’m on my 5th consecutive 180-day tourist visa. I’ve just left each time close to the end of my 180 days, done a quick trip to the USA or in Latin America and came back and they’ve given me a fresh 180 days, no questions asked. I’ve read on the expat groups I’m in that overstay is like a max $40 fine and they don’t care. Some people have lived here recycling tourist visas for decades.

I’m debating just going to Buenos Aires on a 90-day and just staying for like a year.

Mexico City is very cheap compared to USA/Western Europe, but my buddy told me Buenos Aires is like 50% of Mex City’s costs right now. He’s paying like $400/month for a pretty nice 1-bedroom in Palermo. I don’t know BA that well, but think that’s one of the places you want to be. He’s now paying off of AirBNB though to get the full benefit of Argentina’s super weak currency, before it was probably more like $700/month.

Main thing that sucks about Argentina is the distance. It’s so damn far. If it were located where Peru or Colombia are I probably would’ve already done a 6-month stint there.

Yeah, Palermo is younger/trendier more bars and restaurants. I lived in Belgrano, a little leafier, more middle/upper class family orientated. If I had my time back I’d probably go with San Telmo.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

2 Likes

How does that work with the border closed? Does this count as essential travel?