Leaving The US

This isn’t anything other than a curiosity question. When these countries require a “x dollars in the bank” requirement; is that like a checking account or would retirement amounts be considered qualified?

Bali is wildly popular as a digital nomad destination, there are tens of thousands doing exactly what you’re pondering @mosdef

On Nomadlist, the current top 6 cities for digital nomads are:

1. Lisbon
  2. Bali (Canggu)
  3. Bangkok
  4. Madeira
  5. Chiang Mai
  6. Mexico City

I think Bali is a great spot to spend a few months working remotely, assuming it’s not getting too crowded now. There’s tons of exploring to be done around the island, you’ve got volcano hiking, old temples, rice terraces, surfing, scuba diving, etc. It’s pretty damn touristy though, but that’s to be expected. And then from Bali there’s also plenty of cool, less touristy stuff in E. Java and Lombok right next door.

I’ll have to see what the hubbub is about Canggu is though, last time I was there it wasn’t really a thing. I do really like Indonesia though, hopefully I’ll be back this winter - not for Bali though.

Yeah it’s interesting that Canggu is the place, as I mentioned, the hipster places creep north along that West coast. When I was last in Bali 7-8 years ago we stayed in Canggu and it was the new frontier, like the outskirts of the developed area. There was like one bar on the beach and a fucking metric ton of developments being built.

The problem with this is, I’ve always meant to do this when I go (have been maybe 5 times) and it’s always so insanely hot and humid that I’m like fuck that. YMMV if you like humid heat. I hate it.

Yea it’s brutal in the day, just gotta suck it up an make that super early morning start. I’m still annoyed that Gunung Agung was the hardest volcano I’ve ever hiked and it was a total whiteout at the top :sob:

Looking at that list of destinations makes me wonder what they think instability means.

1 Like

They just want something in the EU/Schengen.

1 Like

They just want more options in case something unexpected happens. Having more strategic options is the dominant strategy in game theory.