Leaving The US

wtf Serbia??

Completely unsurprising to see such negative thoughts in Czech Republic towards POC. Unlike America, the racism here is more directed at Roma and itā€™s not just socially acceptable but expected to hate them. Theyā€™re probably the most universally disliked group in the country.

As for other groups, thereā€™s like a handful of black people and 2-3 Muslims who live here full-time. Like Poland, Czech Republic is 99% white (Vietnamese take up most of the remaining 1%). I mean if youā€™re in a touristy area, youā€™re gonna be fine. Outside of those places, POC are gonna get stares.

Ha. That was my first thought also.

I think Portugal is more surprising. Wouldnt we consider most Portuguese to be dark skinned here?

1 Like

The historical Portuguese aristocracy is lily white, though. I think in Portuguese history darkness would be largely associated with ā€œMoorishā€ non Christians and not the ruling class.

1 Like

Serbiaā€™s real attitude towards blacks:

2 Likes

Well I finally managed to get my birth certificate apostilled and paid the lawyer in the Czech Republic to start working on things for me, so hopefully see some progress on this soon. Iā€™m worried theyā€™re going to want an official record of naturalization from my mother, which she can only obtain via a live interview at the office she obtained it atā€¦38 years ago. Navigating the bureaucracy has definitely been a challenge as Iā€™m dealing with US rules state by state trying to satisfy the rules of the Czech government.

When you get to Prague, drop me a line

1 Like

Will do. See you in a few years, hopefully! I think if we succeed our goal would ultimately be to move to Spain/Portugal but itā€™s all a long way off and kind of abstract at this point.

What would be the advantages to living in Indonesia instead of USA

Yeah that visa is appealing almost exclusively to aspiring sweatshop owners

1 Like
2 Likes

Mostly just Bali/the beaches at a fraction of the cost of living of the USA, but if you had that amount of money lying in a bank account then you probably wouldnā€™t be looking at Indonesia to live in.

Incels meeting wives with low agency like the standard expat Australians in Indonesia (I know of multiple)

You would definitely want to live in Bali rather than anywhere else in Indonesia but I would not want to move there.

I thought that was Thailand?

Would it be a reasonable destination for someone that can work remotely and wants to spend a month or two in the North American winter working someone nicer?

Seems like a pretty good deal if all you have to do is park the money there. I guess youā€™re exposed to currency risk. Do you have to hold the $130K in Rupiah? If not, then you can avoid that risk as well.

Yeah thereā€™s nothing wrong with it. Itā€™s your typical tropical tourist place. I havenā€™t been there in like 7-8 years so maybe thereā€™s a bit more of a digital nomad presence there, last I was there it was more just tourists. There is not a lot to do there other than swim and laze about, do some daytrips out to other islands, that kind of thing. So you have to be happy with that for a couple months.

If you do go a quick guide to the areas: the whole western coast, which is all surf beaches, is the most popular area. Kuta is full of drunk Aussie bogans. As a rule the farther north you go the less tacky it is, but ā€œKutaficationā€ relentlessly creeps up the coast. Like Seminyak used to be considered quite classy but I would guess it is significantly Kutafied now. Nusa Dua in the south is a bit pricier, lots of resorts, the place where families tend to go. Sanur on the east is sheltered so thereā€™s no surf, much quieter than the west, full of old Europeans. Lot of Zimmer frames. Ubud in the highlands in the middle is my preference. Itā€™s higher elevation so not as oppressively hot, the monkey forest is fun, it has a more chill hippie kind of vibe, lot of handcrafts stores and yoga joints, that kind of thing. The downside of course is no beaches, you swim in pools. As I said this is all 7-8 years out of date, but those are the basics.

All of this that Iā€™m calling ā€œwestā€ ā€œsouthā€ ā€œeastā€ is all actually clustered in the south, thatā€™s where the airport is and where most tourists go. Bali is actually a decently large island though, like maybe 60 miles across at its widest point. I have no idea what is in the rest of it, I havenā€™t been beyond Ubud. Maybe there are some expat communities elsewhere, away from the tourists.

1 Like