Leaving The US

Really cool and interesting video here. 26 year old white girl born to two British parents in Japan and has never lived anywhere but Japan.

6 Likes

Interesting vid. If that girl isn’t Japanese enough for Japanese people, then there’s really no point in anyone trying to assimilate.

Chinese consulate needs me to provide details regarding my travel to Turkey–a layover–listed on my family visa application. They aren’t asking about any other country listed on the five year travel history list. Hmmmmmm…

I watched this. Her Japanese is, of course, perfect. Obviously in a homogenous society like Japan, from a racial standpoint if you differ radically from everyone else, it’s difficult to not stick out no matter how culturally entrenched you are.

Doesn’t mean she can’t assimilate. Just that Japanese aren’t immune to making the same types of assumptions about people who don’t look like them that we’re all susceptible to on some level.

Heck, I feel pretty well assimilated here and I didn’t grow up here and am neither Asian nor a native speaker.

Assimilate may not have been the right term. I was alluding to the earlier conversation in this thread about how hard it is for immigrants to not be viewed as outsiders. It’s clear that she will always be viewed as one in Japan. Although she has assimilated to some extent.

Also, I thought at some point they mentioned that she wasn’t a citizen. I kind of got a feeling that she would be if she could, but she can’t. Assuming that’s true, what the fuck else does Japan want her to do?

Well, it seems like they have a “do whatever they want” bit at the end:

I’m always wary of generalizing the idea of a person being accepted into a culture or not. I hear it all the time:

“Japan doesn’t accept me!”

Who, or what, is Japan?

The reality is that in some areas of her life there are people who will fully accept her (though many people insist this can never be true–I disagree); while there are other areas and other people who will not fully accept her no matter what she does (I’ve found the same to be true for me both in my home country and in Japan).

There’s never any universal agreement by all members of a nation that a person will or won’t be accepted. It’s always way more nuanced than that. And a lot of that comes down to the individual, their attitude, and their expectations.

As for citizenship, unlike the US, in Japan you aren’t automatically given citizenship just because you were born here. I know of many other gaijin with far-less-impressive credentials than her who had no problem obtaining citizenship, and I feel pretty confident I could do likewise if I chose to, so I doubt she’d have trouble becoming a Japanese citizen if she really wanted to.

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it. As I said, I’m not even sure that she isn’t one or wants to be one. I thought heard something along those lines in the vid, but I might be remembering it wrong.

My overall impression was that she was hardly unhappy with her life growing up in Japan. But no question she’s had a unique upbringing and finds herself in a confusing place in terms of self-identity.

Yeah, I agree with that.

If her instagram is a representative sample it seems like she has a lot more non-Japanese friends than Japanese ones, which I think would be odd for someone who is truly assimilated and accepted as not an outsider.

Unless she deleted a bunch of stuff, she only has 17 posts on her Instagram feed, featuring more fish than humans.

https://www.instagram.com/sachicoastal/

From Youtube videos I have seen, Colombia/Brazil seem like pretty good options for African Americans.

That looks like her business acct.

Here’s the one I saw:

https://www.instagram.com/jazmarine2801/?hl=en

1 Like

Salvador, Brazil would be a great spot.

She says in the video that she met a bunch of non-japanese friends in college so it makes sense that is who she is close to now and not her high school/elementary school friends

That is correct. However, she did go to college in Japan, so non-Japanese students were likely a substantial minority (and probably weren’t born and raised in Japan). So it sounds to me like she has more in common with those people than people born and raised in Japan. There is nothing wrong with that. It just seems to be how things are.

The college she went to is one that has an unusually large number of foreign students–it bills itself as an international university. So she would have had more opportunity to meet fellow pale faces like herself than at most other institutions in Japan.

Just received my China family reunion visa.

Now just need ~$10,000 to make my way there before November 18.

3 Likes

And USDOT cancelled my flight.

3 Likes

So you’re going to live in China for however long the duration of your visa is?

Where in China?