Leaving The US

Growing up and looking different and being bullied or excluded because of that. Not really different than the Asian kids in my American elementary school who were likewise bullied and excluded at times for being Asian.

Then as we all grow up, most of that goes away and the ethnically different person finds their footing in society, but still bears some of the scars of their childhood experiences.

1 Like

But is a Zainichi dude welcome in a Japanese soapland?

1 Like

Many of them are probably the ones running them.

But as for customers, yes, because they usually have Japanese names and are otherwise indistinguishable.

Had to google that. Fortunately your post gave enough of a hint that I went incognito.

1 Like

This is a ridiculous take.

You are conflating immigration policy with societal acceptance. Even going by that metric, I would be interested to see our border policy compared to other western democracies.

ETA: Wasnā€™t trying to pile on.

This is the subject of the show Pachinko on Apple TV, which I thought was excellent, albeit on the depressing side. Itā€™s dramatized through one familyā€™s experience but I learned a lot about Japanese/Korean history from the first season.

2 Likes

@Ikioi Is Hakuho considered a gaijin or is he accepted as Japanese now? Does your average Japanese sports fan worry about sumo being dominated by 外äŗŗ? Is that a source of national anxiety?

1 Like

Only one gaijin per heya rule quelled the initial fear that sumo would be overrun by foreigners, though the Mongolians still dominate even with the restricted numbers.

Hakuho is another polarizing figure. Heā€™s the GOAT Yokozuna and appreciated as such, but many of his actions and behaviors while Yokozuna werenā€™t up to the ā€œhinkakuā€ (dignity) expected of the rank. And he was so dominant that he gradually became perceived as a villain who was keeping the Japanese rikishi home-nation heroes from reaching the top of the sport.

Now that heā€™s retired, he has another chance to redeem himself as an oyakata, but while he now has Japanese citizenship, itā€™s hard to say that heā€™s fully accepted as one.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1552338706278883329

1 Like

Australia
New Zealand
Canada
Ireland
France
Scandinavian countries.
Spain
Belgium
Luxembourg
Argentina
Singapore
ā€¦

This list is lol bad. I think you are conflating likelihood of facing overt racism with likelihood of being accepted as ā€œone of usā€.

In the US, Iā€™m sure you are probably more likely to experience overt racism than most of these places, but you are also far more likely to be accepted as a non-outsider if you pick the right spot. At least Singapore was the lowest on your list, but itā€™s an awful example. If you are a white dude, there is zero chance you will ever be accepted as a Singaporean even if you somehow obtain citizenship.

An excellent example of this was Joseph Schooling (Olympic Gold Medalist in Swimming). The dude is absolutely a native Singaporean but because he was part white, lots of Singaporeans didnā€™t consider him a real Singaporean.

And the dude won them a fucking olympic gold medal. White immigrant would have zero chance. Sorry. Black immigrant? Less than zero chance.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve asked this before, but what is the best country for a black American to immigrate to if the political climate is the main reason for leaving?

Canada is prob best, imo.

But that assumes a black person with identical preferences to the ones I have.

Even if it is not best, I think itā€™s definitely fine.

France would be a good option. I only spent 1.5 years there, but it seemed like anyone who wasnā€™t Muslim and tried to speak French was treated ok regardless of skin color, and itā€™s a pretty racially diverse country as well.

Toronto would be my #1 choice though.

I thought of France, but since weā€™re talking about an American, Canada seems like the obvious top choice.

Iā€™d go Vancouver over Toronto.

1 Like

How many different countries would you could consider good options? What parts of Europe are okay for a white guy but not a black guy?

Itā€™s all on a continuum, but I think once you go East of Germany and Italy, things start to go downhill.

1 Like

Letā€™s put it another way.

What parts of Europe are more ok than a liberal US city for a black American male ex-pat engaging in a relationship with a local white woman?

Large cities in Western Europe.

1 Like

Pretty accurate.

The further into the former Soviet Union you go, the more bigoted people tend to be.