Leaving The US

Can’t believe it’s been two years.

Still no Canadian course on Duolingo :(

8 Likes

To give a little more content, emigration is something I’ve been considering more seriously for the past couple years. I don’t expect things to deteriorate too much before 2025, but it seems wise to have plans in place to exit at that point if needed.

1 Like

Redacted for privacy.

I still think it’s very unlikely the US becomes some monolithic right wing theocracy. More probable is the federal government eventually losing legitimacy due to a combination of extreme partisanship, willful undermining, and plain old incompetence. In 21st century, United States leaves you.

2 Likes

Nah. I fully expect America to be like apartheid South Africa by 2050. By 2050, Hispanics are expected to be the majority of the population but will hold a small minority of political positions.

1 Like

How does Eric Trump’s Justice Department enforce anti-miscegenation laws in Los Angeles?

Big data, facial recognition, snitches, etc.

Leaving the world

I just played a long session and my brain is fried so I hope I’m misunderstanding that post drastically, and I hope you’re well. If not, PM me if you need to talk, I can give you my number and we can hop on the phone.

It’s fine I haven’t had the guts to do it. I don’t even have a hesitation wound yet

Plus I’ve been out of bed several times today. Was in bed from Tuesday afternoon to Friday afternoon. I ate food today and went for a walk around the block a couple times. Only missed Wednesday’s meds

I’m glad you’re doing better and feel free to hit me up via PM if you want to talk. Pretty much everyone I know is in mental distress lately whether it’s anxiety or depression, so you’re definitely not alone.

Trying to pull it together enough to sound fine on Mother’s Day when I call my mom

Probably I’ll call work tomorrow to ask for Sunday work, that will probably help. At least have an answer for “what are you up to today”

3 Likes

I don’t know about your relationship with your mom but I take it you don’t think seeing her would make you feel better or help at all? Or she’s far away?

It might also be helpful to try to take a walk with a friend nearby or get a cup of coffee or something. Maybe someone you know from organizing who would understand how it feels to see everything going on?

But if you think it’s work that’ll help, hey, getting up and moving and feeling productive can be helpful. Treat yourself to a favorite coffee or tea or breakfast/lunch, you know? Whatever it may be.

9 Likes

Thanks CW

2 Likes

I’ve had it. I’m leaving the U.S. Tomorrow.

16 Likes

Mission Accomplished.

5 Likes

What people really don’t take into account when leaving the US is now unreliable the expat community can be. I’m not talking US expats. I’m talking the community in general.

It’s quite difficult to find a consistent group of friends to rely on. The communities are pretty transient with people coming and going without any notice at all. Even if you are a long-term expat, the fact that you are one at all may put locals off from befriending you for fear of you up and going some day.

This lack of cohesiveness can lead to some cattiness and drama that you are less likely to find in a solid core group that communicates more often.

It might be a Czech thing. In Lyon, France I didn’t feel like I had an issue making friends. But a couple of them I’d already built a relationship with via language exchanges on Skype before arriving. I also met 1 or 2 b/c I was going to a language school 15 hours a week. Mexico is super social, so no issues there. And Tbilisi, Georgia seems pretty good in that regard as well. A couple locals who are keen to meet and also thriving expat community (just met a Colombia/German couple yesterday who have lived here 3 years).

That being said, I’m not all that social myself, and tend to be fine mostly going out with my gf and occasionally meeting a friend or 2, so I don’t need much of a social circle.

But yah, there could be a lot of turnover in friends, which isn’t always easy, but I haven’t gotten the sense that people are hesitant around me b/c they think I might leave eventually.
On the flip side, there are always tons of interesting events to do (parties, language meetups, trivia nights, yoga/mindfulness stuff, hikes, visits to nearby sites, etc.) so you will always have social outlets, even if occasionally you go by yourself.

I think I have the perfect personality for this though, in that I don’t ever tend to feel lonely, even if I spend weeks where the only time I leave the apartment is exploring the city on my own, and maybe going to a language exchange once a week.

Could also be, sorry to say, an American thing? To be clear, with the locals rather than the expats (who I would guess wouldn’t really care).