Leaving The US

Ah - that explains some things. I’ll cut him some slack.

1 Like

Are you saying that there aren’t homeless people in Germany, even among the mentally ill and substance addicted?

From what I understand, the “nothing lucrative at all” part of the visa is a bit of a gray area and varies a lot depending on who you talk to. The reddit forums “Iwantout” and “Digitalnomads” are pretty good resources, but it sounds like there are others doing internet work while in Spain on the non-lucrative visa. I guess it would be quasi-legal, but if it came to that, then I’d probably get the visa and spend a couple years playing online poker under the table and then pay taxes in Spain once I were able to secure permanent residency or citizenship.

However, I think they prefer that you’re living off a pension, rental income, investments, etc. on this type of visa.

1 Like

I guess it varies a lot on your lifestyle, but for me Europe is a lot cheaper than the USA.

I like to live in the center of a city among all the action, not need a car, and have almost everything within walking distance (groceries, bars, cafés, restaus, barber, etc.). As well as have access to a great public transport system.

I lived in Lyon, France for a year and a half an absolutely loved it. I lived in one of the most upscale neighbourhoods in the center of the city for about $950/month for a fully furnished, all bills included, 1 BR apartment. I didn’t need a car and Lyon has a nice metro network, tram, and bus system, as well as a bikeshare. I think I paid ~$110/month for unlimited access to all those things. Solid cell phone plan was like $15 or 20/month. France is a bit expensive in terms of food/drinks so we’ll call that one a wash. Spain is cheaper than France though, if you want to cut costs.

Now compare that to the USA. When I was considering living there, a couple cities I was looking at were Austin, Denver, Portland, etc. (I liked SoCal as well, but it’s way too expensive). In Austin, if you want to live anywhere near downtown, you’re probably paying like $1400 minimum for a studio and that’s before furnishing it and paying bills. You’ll also definitely need a car, there’s another ~$500 down the drain after car payments, insurance, parking, upkeep, etc.

So you have rent being at least double and transportation 4x. In Austin I’d have double the budget and probably be watching my costs at every turn for a lower quality of life. That’s not even getting into travel being 10x easier in Europe w/trains and buses between cities, super cheap airfare to other countries, etc.

Sure a lot of the capitals in Europe are expensive (still way cheaper than NYC/SF tho), but there are myriad 2nd-tier cities that still offer a great experience and are much cheaper than any somewhat comparable experience in the USA.

Of course living in Latin America is a whole different ballgame. Movie tickets are like $3.50, public transport is practically free, super cheap Uber, a plate of tacos for $3 that will be one of the best meals you’ve had, etc. Definitely a great option also. I’m in a constant debate if I should just base myself here or try to move to Europe.

2 Likes

No judgment at all for who choose not to have kids, but I think those on the fence should balance the anticipated challenge of having a 3-year-old in your 30s with the awesomeness of having a badass adult (who you created!) to share your life with all the way from ~50-dead.

It’s easy for me to imagine being childless and happy from 25-35. But it’s no question when I consider what the following 50 years of life might look like with vs. without children.

I’ve got a three-year-old and another (very recently) on the way, fwiw. Two seems like a good stopping point.

3 Likes

I guess that doesn’t do much for me at all. If they don’t end up living near you you end up seeing them what, a couple times a year for a few days? If they do live near you bump that up to once a week or every other week for a few hours at a time. I live pretty close to my parents and while we don’t have any issues I still don’t want to spend a ton of time with them, we get together and have dinner or hang out for an afternoon a couple times a month and I’m good with that.

Then when I get old and decrepit they have the burden of taking care of me? I don’t feel great about putting that responsibility on someone who didn’t sign up for it.

Looked into to this last year. Iirc, the 26k euro requirement for non-lucrative visa is for annual income, not assets.

You sure? The video I posted (Spanish lawyers who deal with immigration issues every day) and several links I’ve read claim it’s just 26k+ euro requirement in a bank account.

Here’s a shorter vid w/the requirements and she clearly mentions you need this amount in the bank (starts at 1:05)

This is the Spanish consulate’s page about the program:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LOSANGELES/en/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Pages/Residence-Visa.aspx

These are the requirements they link to on that page:

Yes, I listed the same figures above.

The self-employment visa (emprendedores) might also be worth looking into and I hear it’s fairly easy to get from the Reddit forums I read. A lot of English teachers will go that route b/c it doesn’t require near as much money, just a business plan showing you can earn above the minimum amount.

This is my plan if I’m ever diagnosed Alzheimers. Oooops my chute didnt open. Oh well.

Side note but I am curious as to what the sentiment will be towards Americans in Europe post covid? Would have to be worse than it already was.

I was in France for a year pre-Trump election and about a year post-Trump election. I didn’t really notice any change and most probably assumed that if I’m there that I’m not a Trump supporter anyway.

I think the anti-American stuff is overblown anyway. If you respect the local culture, attempt to learn at least a bit of the language and start convos in it, then the receptive will be fine. Even in Paris I wouldn’t say I had a bad experience. In France, the people are generally colder with strangers and just want to go about their business, but I’m fine with that. A lot of waiters will just show up, take your order, no small talk or fake smiles, give you your food and leave you alone for the next hour. A lot of Americans will bitch about how shitty the service is just like a lot of Euros in America will bitch about how the waiters will never leave you the fuck alone. It’s just cultural differences, but aside from that I never once experienced open hostility over being American.

Maybe it changes a bit post-covid, but I doubt it would change too much. Just be respectful and realize you’re a guest in their country and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

This.

I only recall one instance where I took shit specifically for being American in Europe.

1 Like

The only anti-American sentiment I’ve ever experienced in Europe came from a Canadian who was convinced that American beer was all <5% and that all Canadian brews were 13%+. His subsequent alcohol tolerance as we played foosball till 4am in a Austrian dive bar gave proof to his misjudgment.

1 Like

Ok that’s interesting re american sentiment. My family are Polish and most of my relatives over there in Poland and the UK really dislike Americans as they consider them unintelligent and ignorant. It is extremely ironic considering my family are all Catholics who think the Catholic paedophilia scandal and the increased african immigration to Europe was orchestrated by the globalist Jewish cabal.

It’s probably quite naive to expect people or governments to be significantly better ~anywhere.

The poster child for cool country with awesome leader? NZ? Oh yeah, Nazi killed 51 people in a mosque not too long ago.

Now compare the reaction of their government to that event to similar ones in the USA.

2 Likes

This and their biggest national brands are utter garbage that might as well be yellow water.