LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/TylerDinucci/status/1317877163123634178

It really was

1 Like
1 Like

It’s a tradition during Christmas in my family to get a pile of fresh oysters from Pike Place Market.

(I couldn’t find a more recent photo but this is pretty representative.)

Over the years different garnishes and “treatments” have been tried, but I like mine straight, no lemon or Tapatio.

My thoughts on shucking…

Hold the deeper half of the shell in your non-knife hand. Poke the tip of the knife into the end opposite the hinge. You should be able to find a little “hole” where you can get in easier. A little side to side movement or light (!) twisting can help. Once you get the top shell moving, use the knife to unattach the oyster from the top shell, fold it back and remove it. Run the knife under and around the oyster in the bottom shell to free it up for slurping.

Don’t go too HAM on the shell during shucking. It’s easy to chip off little pieces of shell which end up on the oyster or in the brine and that makes the experience less enjoyable.

We try to keep the brine in the shell so you can slurp it down with the oyster. That means you need to hold the bottom shell pretty steady and level once you open it up.

We do all the shucking and then eat them. I like to get the annoying part out of the way, then enjoy the oysters without any interruptions.

We don’t have dedicated gloves and just use whatever gardening gloves are out in the garage. Make sure to rinse whatever you use off really well though. The juice and shell bits will smell awful after a while if you don’t. (Also put the shells in a plastic bag someplace you won’t have to smell them later.)

My preferred drink pairing is an ice-cold gin martini (what my grandfather calls olive soup). Fucking amazing combo.

Anyway, have fun with it and enjoy!

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1317962727248285697?s=20

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/daveyalba/status/1317922439783976962

scary

1 Like

So, uh, I have put an offer down on a house.

14 Likes

Seems like a good time to buy. Everyone is trying to GTFO and rates are low AF.

Can we assume this place has a sick kitchen?

Just in time for the holidays.

2 Likes

My pony may be slow but I don’t remember anyone mentioning that back in September Ben Shapiro admitted to jerking off on his sister’s panties

1 Like

That’s not real, is it?

I honestly have no idea, but worst case it’s fake but accurate

1 Like

Starting a sentence with „like“ doesn’t sound like wannabe intellectual Shapiro.

Obviously fake, cmon.

1 Like

Sauce of the fake tweet
https://www.reddit.com/r/ToiletPaperUSA/comments/iwdlho/ben_makes_his_argument_with_a_totally_random/

Portland metro. By any reasonable metric we are both rich and completely priced out of anywhere in the Bay with a great school district, especially if we wanted to own a home. Portland, like, shit, we can get a house triple the size of where we are living for half the price of a comparable place in any of the choicest locations. We are both working remotely for the foreseeable future, and we aren’t taking any advantage of the Bay’s niceties, and schools are about to become a priority, so we had the flexibility and opportunity to move.

2 Likes

It’s a good but not sick kitchen. Enough space that it could be upgraded without knocking down walls. A bit better than what we have now perhaps, but having the kitchen of our dreams right now was not a priority. Schools, a playable backyard, and enough space were much more important considerations. We considered some downright hideous kitchens thinking that we would be more inclined to buy now and remodel later than pay a premium for an ideal setup right now

If you’re working remotely, why didn’t you move to Seattle?

Surely you don’t need any convincing that Seattle > Portland?

My job has always been fundamentally remote, even while I lived proximally to HQ and would go in a few days a week. It will continue to be so, but now all remote. MrsWookie has permission to be remote even post-COVID.

1 Like

Price. Seattle’s housing market is only slightly more sane than the Bay. Owning a decent sized home there in a good school district is a million+ proposition. We were flabbergasted at the kind of house we could get in a good Portland area for schools compared to Seattle, LA, San Diego, or the Bay. It’s not remotely close. We’d have to consider Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver, or Vegas for a metro with a major airport (a constraint) that had that sort of housing market.