LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I don’t see what that has to do with anything we are discussing.

2 Likes

I don’t believe in stressing joy/pleasure/happiness in determining whether something is good.

What else is there?

You don’t need to take any of those things as primary. Even a mouth-breathing Kantian can arrive at a principle that says, “Do things that make you happy as long as they don’t harm other people.”

1 Like

He’ll only tell you if you agree to go on a date with him.

1 Like

Let me guess - NBZ’s universal morality system derived from first principles. Where Nietzsche failed, NBZ boldly goes forth and returns triumphant.

As far as I can tell “Don’t kink shame” means “Don’t make fun of what turns me on”* and should be taken as a generally pretty good thing to do but not as an unwavering principle. Some consensual sex is shameful and should be shamed. You don’t get to beat your wife if she says it’s OK, even if if makes you hard.

*Clovis has a more refined and reasonable view.

6 : unconventional sexual taste or behavior

The kink community can define it however they want, but Websters is pretty wide open.

You are mistaken on both accounts.

One could believe that what is good is determined by virtue. There are some who might believe that temperance is a virtue and that pleasure is a vice.

Wow, really? I’m surprised you’re biting the bullet there instead of defining kink to exclude wife beating.

My morality system is a work in progress, but I am pretty confident that I find utilitarianism to be lacking.

The point is that it’s not “wife beating”, in the sense you mean, when it’s consensual.

How do you determine what is a virtue and what is a vice?

Maybe we’re talking past each other, but I’m not yet sure.

I don’t mean a nice little whipping with smiles and a high five after. I’m thinking knocking teeth out, black eyes, afraid to visit your family because of what they’ll say type stuff. That’s all cool as long as the wife says it’s cool?

Philosophical circle jerk.

That doesn’t sound like it has anything to do with sex at all (unlike a kink).

There isn’t a consensual BDSM relationship in the world with those conditions.

I have yet to be convinced that kink shaming is an actual thing anybody needs to care about.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m not following your point anymore. Are you saying that in principle it would be fine, but as a matter of empirical fact it never occurs? Or something else? Because nothing about the definition in your article excludes what I’ve described.

I think we’re just back to “Don’t shame things I like and I don’t like any of that icky stuff.”