LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I’d consider Contagion to be a disaster movie (though not earth’s gonna explode type disaster) with a hell of a cast.

If I were a bee and I saw one of those flying around, I’d be shitting myself.

2 Likes

2012 was a dumb movie with a mediocre cast. But the spectacle of it was great and the VFX hold up. As do the effects in Armageddon and basically all of Bay’s movies, say what you will about his dialogue and characters but he has a hell of an eye and visual flair and talent for integrating practical and digital effects.

Also The Rock has been making some significant forays into disaster movies. San Andreas was great and I enjoyed Skyscraper as well. Now none of those movies are ensemble, but do they even make those any more? Only ensemble movies with a bunch of big stars are Quentin Tarantino these days. And yeah man, let’s have them make a Tarantino ensemble disaster movie.

1 Like

This, Bay is a master of kinetic action. It comes down to whether you can put up with the scenes in between the splodey stuff being pretty tepid.

I assume everyone knows this stuff, but those giant hornets attack bee hives and can wipe them all out and take the larva. They send scouts out and when the scouts land in a hive the almost defenseless bees swarm on the hornet totally covering it. They vibrate or something and heat things up. Honey bees can survive a higher temperature than the hornets and they kill the scout like that if they can. Dead scout means the killer hornets don’t arrive to wipe them out. This behavior has evolved in Asian bees (Japanese bees anyway), but not in bees where these hornets aren’t native. So, the hornets will kill lots more bees if they get somewhere new.

1 Like

This movie was released in 2007. You might ask, how did Bay get the visual effect of that bus being cut in half by Bonecrusher to look so good? He started by cutting a bus in half. Baller.

The last Transformers movie I saw was the 1986 cartoon.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen any. Why do alien robots transform into Earth cars and trucks?

They are alien, right?

An Orson Welles completist, respect.

1 Like

Those hornets would have a hard time taking out bumble bee… :honeybee: My Fav transformer movie. :grin:

1 Like

All in service to, hands down, the single worst film series ever made.

How many did you watch?

Spoken like a man who has not watched Trancers I through VI.

1 Like

Fair question. I never made it past 2 which is my most hated film I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot.

I hear bubblebee is good but I can’t bring myself to watch it.

I’m not a Bay hater in general. I like some of his earlier cheesy movies like the Rock.

Peak Megan Fox, tho.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, FLORIDA:

https://twitter.com/thesportshernia/status/1256598396204392449?s=21

I’m not defending Bay’s storytelling but the visuals and set pieces in some of his movies are astounding. Pearl Harbor was garbage but the attack on Battleship Row was amazing. Planes look great, ships look great, tracking shots of torpedoes and bombs, Liv Tyler looks pretty good as well.

The destruction of Chicago in the third Transformers movie is spectacular.

Tbh… Like keed says the visuals are extremely well done but I’ve only enjoy 2 transformer movies and I’m glad I stuck with them as the Action scenes were always the pull, Bumble Bee and the one with marky mark. :wink:

I wish someone would make a decent Aliens V Predator movie for once… :disappointed:

1 Like

I am of the opinion that action films have gotten significantly worse since CGI become so prevalent. CGI is awesome in films like Zodiac and Social Network but it ruins nearly every action movie because directors want to push it so far it becomes fake. They also lose focus on story and character because they are so focussed on CGI.

I’ll take Point Break or Die Hard any day over Marvel films.

1 Like