LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1303906295322300421

3 Likes

It may be “the boonies” but it’s probably more dense than most states.

I know there are places where you can purchase replacements for the silicon dome switch that sits under the key. They’re glued on so it’ll be tricky getting them off. You could try that before sending it to a repair shop because they’ll just replace the entire keyboard.

Got push polled tonight for the local dem assembly candidate.

Uncharacteristically answered a rado number and it sounded like a poller (lotta background calls), and I agreed to participate to unskew the polls. They asked some Trump/Biden stuff and then focused in on the local race. I told her I didn’t know either candidate but I would vote for the dem even if she ran an illegal puppy mill. When she started asking about my opinion about various “comments” pumping up the dem, I told her it was a push poll intended to advertise to me and was a waste of my time. My vote was locked in, and I’d still vote for the dem even if she pushed polled me. I told her, also, that I don’t give a shit about candidate Nguyen’s position on communists in Vietnam, which was one of the prompts.

3 Likes

I’m a lock to destroy the computer entirely if I try something like that. I’ll probably just try replacing the key and if that doesn’t work pay to get the keyboard replaced.

Twitter, yet another company with 1000s of engineers making $300k+ thinks it’s a good idea to stop playing video when you scroll it off the page (fine), but then start the video again when you scroll back - in muted mode.

Brilliant fucking UX guys.

1 Like

You could get a wireless keyboard. I use a logitech solar powered with my mac air.

Good engineers would have told them to fuck off - that it’s an idiotic requirement.

It also might just be a bug. Desktop is the red-headed stepchild of twitter.

I have that keyboard and love it for work. But I like to write in my comfy chair on the laptop directly. Also when I travel the wireless keyboard is a PITA.

https://twitter.com/kalebhorton/status/1303772327553818624?s=19

3 Likes

Ok, but more like 1997.

1 Like

Er hmm. Fast forward a year and that photo doesn’t look so sweet.

2 Likes

Hahaha you know I googled “tabby cat eating rabbit” and was going to post the exact same photo but thought it might come across badly.

2 Likes

you can pop the keycap out but the switch itself is soldered down. you’d have to open it up and desolder it from underneath to replace it.

in any case, I have the newest MBP and I’ve had basically every version of the keyboard on the USB-C models and this is definitely better but still pretty crappy

I teach students who are preparing for school leaving exams and part of it is being able to talk about a number of topics in great depth. One of them is mass media. I showed them this video as a way to explain what mass media is from a sociological perspective rather than just put a definition on the board myself:

Students were mostly silent and listening throughout but when the feminist perspective of media was brought up you could hear a very clear negative response from a few of the male students as though gender issues don’t exist. Meanwhile, female students were quiet and locked in on the video writing the answers to questions I gave them.

I taught all of last year and they’re pretty level-headed, left-leaning people. Or at least I thought they were because such an audible response in a class that’s 50/50 between men and women was quite surprising.

Earlier in 2020, I noticed the same thing in a teacher’s meeting where teachers would discuss which students were struggling in their class. Male teachers rarely got interrupted while female teachers did way more frequently. Sexism is very clear to me in the Czech Republic and way more people like it that way compared to the U.S.

Here’s the CR compared to the rest of the EU

Here are some questions where the CR is compared to the US.

1 Like

I know house cats and rabbits that grow up together and live in complete harmony.

Kitten: is this prey?
Bunny: is this predator?

Edit: I hadn’t looked at the following posts. Gross.

1 Like

Yes

Well shit. Power is back off.

I only eat animals that eat plants. Does that count?

1 Like