LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Very timely. I am now paying $59/month for Spectrum internet after calling and doing the cancel charade. This is a $5 increase from last year when I also called and did the cancel charade although stupidly after getting burned for one month at 80 bucks or some absurd shit. 59 sucks bad too.

Frontier is available in my area for $44 with a price lock. I have no contract with Spectrum. But I think Frontier needs to come into my house and I’d prefer that not happen. So I’m just burning $180/yr to not get coronavirus which I’m going to get anyways because of Cuse.

3 Likes

Same here. The price I pay for living in the boonies. I guess I could do satellite, but omg the laaaaaag

Not to mention the “we will have someone there between 8am - 1pm” bullshit.

lol if you’re lucky. I’ve gotten the 9am-6pm window several times. Like hold on, my time is worth kind of a lot and you want me to wait around how long?

cableguy

3 Likes

My home wifi is always named either:

1. StealMyWifi
  2. Don’tGetHighOnYourOwnWifi

Not password protected. Have at it neighbors!

4 Likes

I switch back and forth between Frontier and Spectrum every couple years - right as one jacks the rate up to full price. I wait for the gift card offer. But goddam you have to bug them for that thing. I already have the hookups for both so it’s super easy.

Another favorite trick of theirs is to not send you the boxes to send their equipment (which is 100% worthless to them) back, then bill you for it like a year later.

1 Like

Enjoy the pedophile/hacker police visit.

I’m not tech savvy enough to understand what you mean.

The cops will have your IP address if someone sharing your wifi commits illegal acts online. They will come to your house, not your neighbor.

It would be like letting someone use your phone to run an illegal sports book.

1 Like

Last time I returned cable/WiFi boxes the rep remarked on how they were the old version and “how did you even get those” cause they’re going right in the trash. But I’d bet lots of money that they’d charge me a ton if I never returned them.

Full price. They tried to do it to me multiple times. I had to launch investigations to get them to drop it. It’s clearly a revenue stream for them.

https://twitter.com/Allief0rnia/status/1303767843905839105

Dystopian

8 Likes

I get way too much pleasure from this, but mine is always wifiartthouromeo and I laugh every goddamn time I log in.

5 Likes
4 Likes

The T key went bad on my old mac pro 13" (pre-butterfly keyboard - which I absolutely cannot stand typing on). So I bought a similar used one and turned the other one into a dedicated streaming device. And now the E key is slowly dying on my new one, just like the T key did on the old one. Awesome.

I do almost all of my writing for the book in my comfy chair on my laptop directly. I really don’t want to have to use an external keyboard.

Anyone else have experience with this and am I just screwed? I seemed to remember looking into repairs for the old one and it was more expensive than just replacing it. It sure didn’t look like something you could do yourself.

You can pop the keys out without damaging them. So you can take the E key from your old computer and use it to replace it on your new one. There are YouTube videos that show you how to do it.

3 Likes

I have a feeling it’s the sensor in the keyboard and not the key. But I’ll try it.

Power is back! After 40 hours I had finally stopped reflexively trying to turn stuff on. I discovered two things in that time. One, I need a better power bank or maybe a small UPS. Two, when I tie my shoelaces in the dark, they generate a corona discharge with a cool purple glow.

8 Likes