LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

It’s funny, I live in Ramona (about 30 miles from the ocean), where it gets desert-hot during the day, but it’s dry enough that it usually cools off into the low 60’s at night. Our AC runs maybe 2-3 hours a day (set at 76) because we have an attic/whole house fan that we turn on at night to suck in the cool air. That cool air lasts until about 2-3 pm.

So even in the shitty inland “hot” parts of SD county, if you do it right you only need AC for a short time each day.

Call the bluff

https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/1293565510425206797?s=21

12 Likes

It’s currently overcast and 62F with a forecast high of 69 in Seattle. Supposed to be 91F on Sunday, 86F with a chance of rain Monday sounds crappy, but then it drops to mid-70’s over a few days. Being close to the Pacific Ocean is nice.

LOL at 26. Is your skin translucent?

1 Like

I just learned that Euros refer to A/C as “air-con.”

1 Like

Well, when it makes you feel like this:

10 Likes

well played

I’m like fucking Powder.yo

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1293615900428574720

I say it partly in jest, but the canceling of college football is like maybe the biggest chance ever for Dems in the south. “Trump screwed up covid now you don’t have football” is maybe the most powerful political message possible.

lol They’ll just blame the Dems for no football.

2 Likes

Contracting makes sense in some context but there should be a rule that anyone making less than something like $40,000/year cannot be a contractor. They must be an employee.

Don’t know if people are following the fallout at Bon Appetite but they continue to handle it so poorly.

The exposure of BA has been a real bummer as I loved their videos but it’s good to see the BIPOC community taking a stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-EIWQznY90

1 Like

Probably not a bluff. Uber is a cash incineration machine and most of it goes to drivers already. I cbf googling for more recent figures but in Q2 2019, Uber’s gross bookings amounted to $16 billion but $13 billion of that went to drivers, leaving $3 billion in revenue. Net loss that quarter was $5.2 billion.

KCChiefsFan88 (seriously) on CP was laughing off covid and sneering at everyone until college football was in jeopardy - then he switched to full-blown meltdown mode - all libtards’ fault of course.

2 Likes

Right, but without their ride share business they’re legit done as a company. Nothing they do makes money - they’re being kept afloat by hopes of eventual monopoly pricing in ride share. If they quit that business they’re hopeless (they already are, but that’s a longer discussion).

Right. I’m a huge bear on Uber. They’re not profitable, as far as I can tell they have no feasible plan to become profitable, they have no economies of scale (costs scale close to linearly with revenue) and the worst thing is they have no brand loyalty. It’s kind of strange what people do and don’t have loyalty to, for example I have some brand loyalty to Google as a search engine. Something would have to be very clearly better for me to switch. With Uber though as far as I’m concerned I click buttons in some app and then a driver comes and gets me. If I click buttons in a different app instead IDGAF.

I think their plan was to proceed into self-driving cars but those are taking longer to arrive than they thought and then there’s still the brand loyalty problem. The instant Google self-driving car services hit the market I would almost certainly just switch. Frankly I’d probably even pay more to do it because I just trust the competence of Google as a company more.

1 Like

I don’t understand what they spend after driver revenue on. It’s nuts.

Summary from an article about it:

• Constant geographical expansion : Uber set out to conquer the world, believing that being the first mover could give the company an early advantage — but doing so meant spending hundreds of millions of dollars to start up, lobby, and often fight in unfamiliar markets.
  • Commodification of ride-sharing : Because Uber has little valuable IP, and local companies and VCs have an incentive to gain a ride-sharing monopoly in their own areas, Uber has spent hundreds of millions fighting well-capitalized local competitors, attempting to drive its revenues down and costs up.
  • Poor overall driver retention : While part-time work and flexibility are core to the Uber driver experience, its ~13% monthly churn rate on drivers means hefty sales, marketing, and promotional spend designed to keep people signing up and driving for the platform.

Only 20% of drivers remain on Uber a year after signing up, that’s the nature of the kind of work it is.

1 Like