LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Wait, so the insurance will just pay for stuff you lose?

Or did you have the rings insured separately?

We had the rings specifically insured on our homeowner insurance. But after reading our policy, I think it covers a lot of things I never realized, and we’ve probably missed a few claims. We lost a whole freezer full of meat, etc a few months ago. I’m pretty sure that could have been covered.

Ok, that makes sense.

Still a little surprised that insurance just covers losing them with no questions asked. But that’s some solid service. What company are you insured with?

Westfield

‘Lost’ like it went bad, or…?

I’m guessing power went out.

I guess that makes sense, it’s just clashing senses of ‘lost’ and kind of funny because of that.

If you can afford it I highly recommend keeping a real tire instead of a spare.

Also, learn how to plug a tire. Filling up holes should be natural for you.

3 Likes

Most of the larger property carriers like Zurich/Travelers will just pay it out (assuming you meet your deductible) without much hassle unless there’s some red flags like you just upped your policy limits. Then they’ll refer it to their SIU and local police department. For first party property loss it should be really easy. Generally, the smaller the carrier the more difficult your claim will be.

Nobody‘s was going to point out how he just snuck that brag in there?

Didn’t see that post.

Our 3 figure rings are not insured.

Yolo.

Is it insurance fraud if you find the missing item later? If so what’s the time limit on that? Interesting.

I assume he could just return the money (in this case).

But if he finds it years later, I’m not sure what the remedy is. Money + interest?

Maybe that possibility is explained in the policy document somewhere.

That’s actually an interesting question. (This is not legal advice)- but my understanding is that fraud requires intent so if you end up finding your 10k+ rings later I don’t think you committed fraud but I’m sure there’s some conditional language in the policy that speaks on it.

1 Like

I’d be shocked if he could legally just keep the money and the rings.

They haven’t cashed the check yet, so I think one can make a case for fraud once they do.

Yea it’s an interesting situation. Obviously we’re just going to call tomorrow and have them cancel the check.

And I wasn’t bragging just including the 5 figure because I feel like a lot of (maybe most) people would probably just try and keep both the check and the rings now for those figures.

My ring was <$200.

And the rings were sitting on our daughters dresser under a bag. My wife must have taken them off there for some reason and not remembered. Or she took them off somewhere else and our three year old took them and put them there. The first seems more likely.

That was your wife’s bug out bag.

Oh under a bag. Never mind.

Thanks for this, coincidentally I just lost all of my most expensive possessions. Crazy!

Lol it was a brown paper bag with glow sticks and shit in it that some of our daughters friends dropped off when we were locked down.