LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I was obviously young and naive when the US market went under, but I never would have thought in 2020 it would still be closed off.

I’ve read this a couple years back, well worth a read.

I’m talking specifically about Rust Belt manufacturing not facing real competition between 1950 and 1980:

The fall of the Rust Belt extends back to the 1950s, when Rust Belt firms such as General Motors and U.S. Steel dominated their industries and were among the biggest, most profitable businesses in the world. The Rust Belt was an economic giant at that time, accounting for more than half of all U.S. manufacturing jobs in 1950 and about 43 percent of all U.S. jobs. But after 1950, the Rust Belt began a long downturn.

In other words, this was a huge, unsustainable bubble propped up by lack of competition in both product and labor markets and aided by rent-seeking protectionist policies (attained through bribery). Those companies were raking it in hand over fist while being lazy, stupid, and corrupt (special shout out to GM). They had no incentive to be better and only started producing more things with fewer people after they got wrecked by the competition. The article even points out that productivity within the industry lagged behind the U.S. average for that period.

2 Likes

Hopefully young enough that you weren’t one of the people getting strung along every few months with talk of a new online poker bill that Harrah Reid was gonna finally push through this time.

1 Like

I don’t understand why that thread is paradoxing so hard. It’s either A or D assuming there is exactly one correct answer.

That’s the whole point, in that scenario you have a 50% chance of choosing A or D.

If it’s either A or D then it’s C. But if C is right then it can’t be right and A and D have to be.

B should be 75% for some real Escher shit though. Including 0 was a mistake.

I actually think zero was a solid addition. The first inclination is that there is no right answer, so that would imply zero. But if you pick zero and it’s correct, then it can’t be zero. Perfect unresolvable contradiction.

4 Likes

Not American so it doesn’t concern my ability to play, but is still wild to me.

There is only one correct answer out of four possible answers (A, B, C, or D). You will land on that answer 25% of the time IF you select randomly. But you aren’t selecting randomly, that’s just a hypothetical. So you can choose A or D and logically win this question.

Yeah, I think you might need to rethink this assumption and try again.

Here is a question with more than one correct answer:
3+3 =
A. 6
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8

Here is a question with none:
3+3 =
A. 7
B. 8
C. 9
D 10

Have you seen a question on the show where there wasn’t exactly one correct answer? Like I bet if we emailed ABC legal and asked them to opine on this, they’d say each question has exactly one “most correct” answer.

It’s not a real question. It couldn’t be.

1 Like

If I picked A and they said the answer was D, I’d be pretty pissed.

Yes. It happens rarely.

I even remember the question.

Which is the second largest Great Lake?
A. Superior
B. Huron
C. Michigan
D. Erie

Edit:
It might have been this.
Of these Great Lakes, which is the largest?
A. Huron
B. Michigan
C. Erie
D. Ontario

Both have the same problem.

So the contestant picked either Michigan or Huron, and the show had the other as the correct answer. They told him he was wrong and sent him packing. On the next episode, they brought him back stating since they didn’t specify area or volume, his answer should be acceptable, so they credited him with the correct response and had him continue from there.

Hire Michael Davis.

Sorry, I didn’t articulate this perfectly. Did the producers of the show intend for there to be other than exactly one “most correct” answer? Like, when the correct answer(s) for the question was revealed and highlighted in green, there was more than one highlighted that you could have chosen according to the producers?

Obviously not. Also, they’ve never included the same answer twice. That’s why we know it’s not a real question so all this analysis of what would happen on the actual show is kind of a weird tangent.

LDO it’s not real. It’s also not an interesting “paradox.” So the only possible intriguing application is game show error scenarios which pop up from time to time and can have big $$$ implications. This is presented as a WWTBAM question, so it seems weird to me not to approach it in that context. Isn’t this a forum of mostly people who played games for money? One of the clear takeaways is that you should really avoid picking obviously wrong answers in these spots if possible. Here are some famous examples:

I don’t think it is any of these things.

I think it was just an attempt at humor.