LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Kind of a mirror of your post for me, except we saw it in Chicago. It really is incredible.

Onion, right?

How in the christ is this not Onion?

https://mobile.twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1279423437577105411

3 Likes

Calling all sports bettors…

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1279806765098577920

2 Likes

Depends on what you mean.

Yes, they have a lot of power, but they also have a lot of people. Per capita, NY and CA have substantially less power than other parts of the country because of idiocy like the electoral college and the make up of the senate.

Pretty much this. The electoral college and the senate are undemocratic to an absurd degree.

That sounds something like the Boundary Commission that we have here periodically, which changes Parliamentary constituency borders in an attempt to balance the number of voters represented by each MP.

I guess in the case of WY it would have to gobbled up large swathes of surrounding states to justify the number of reps. Sounds unpopular.

I don’t see why federal districts or elections should have anything to do with states or state boundaries.

Yes I see.

I haven’t followed Nate nearly as closely as I used to, but I’m surprised by the idea that there’s been an evolution. I viewed him as being innovative in incorporating pollster quality, the idea of similar congressional districts/states, and correlated polling errors into his models. But I assumed that his current modeling was more or less the same as the mechanics in his 2016 modeling. In your view, what are the obvious improvements he’s made? (Also, welcome!)

Because of state sovereignty.

Glad to see the PASSION isn’t limited to Ohio terribleness.

That may be the reason, but it doesn’t conflict with state sovereignty.

It would be a move towards more equal representation but you’re still left with the same big problem of blue voters in staunch red areas and vice versa being effectively disenfranchised that we have here.

Having spent a good deal of time in Mexico and Central America - they love fireworks the way white people love backyard grilling. It’s in their blood. Christmas, Easter, birthday, wedding - time for fireworks.

And there is ZERO concept of noise pollution (as in every third-world-ish place I’ve ver been). They’ll usually tone it down by 11pm on weeknights. But Saturday nights anything goes. There’s usually a massive wedding party going until 4am somewhere nearby.

The funniest thing to me the emptier the bar/club, the louder the music. If they aren’t attracting customers, they always seem to assume it’s because the music isn’t loud enough and crank that shit up to 11. I remember a bar/restaurant owner getting mad when our little tour group turned him down for the place with the least obnoxiously loud music. He couldn’t fathom how we could make such a choice.

You have to understand how the United States came to be.

The Articles of Confederation required the ratification of every member. No nascent state could be forced to join the Confederation. However, the Articles, with their one vote per state in Congress, we’re clearly ineffective.

The Constitution, with it’s Senate and Electoral College, represented a compromise, in which more populous states chose to give up some, but not all, of the advantage they would have in a proportional system for the sake of reaching an agreement.

The federal government is the result of an agreement between sovereign states to give up part of their sovereignty. Federal districts and elections are tied to state boundaries because it’s part of the agreement. To change that, the states need to give up part of their sovereignty and it takes a super-majority to do that. That’s why the principle of “one person, one vote” from court cases such as Baker v Carr applies to state, but not the nation, legislatures.

This is why I believe that replacing the Senate and the Electoral College will most likely require the sort of national existential crisis that makes acceptable the idea of tossing the Constitution in the trash and writing a new document.

It’s in states’ own interest to have state boundaries matter. There’s no incentive for them to have federal districts and elections untied to those boundaries under the current constitutional regime. Break that constitution and we’ll have grounds for discussion.

2 Likes

You know we all know that, but I do get that the point of this post is that you want to edgelord (or really, troll) about some violent crisis.

Ha. I started writing a troll reply to him about how he might get his wish in a few months, then thought better of it.

Been seeing this “Irish were slaves too!” crap on FB a lot.

Irish definitely worked with slaves carrying around the awkward whips.