LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I’ve known maybe a half dozen people who commute weekly by flying into the Bay Area.

The key is to go back in time to 1994 and buy something.

I’m more interested in predicting what will be beachfront property after sea levels rise due to global warming.

1 Like

I knew I should have purchased some property when I was a toddler!

In theory, holding Berkshire is like being half in cash anyway, right?

But still it usually falls in lock step with the market - not half as much. So maybe not.

I barely made it through the trailer. It’s some comment on how there’s a bathroom in New Jersey named after Vince Limbardi instead of something nice.

Of course there’s a stadium, trophy and a statue but Nick pretends that doesn’t exist to make shitty joke “work”.

What do you recommend from Vermont?

I especially like IPAs, Hazy IPAs, and sours. But since I’m not familiar with VT brew scene, anything you think highly of will do.

Heady Topper is basically the state beer of Vermont. Sip of Sunshine is the next most famous.

I don’t know how much availability they have outside the state though.

2 Likes

Startling secrets within Irish tombs: Neolithic man buried within Newgrange was inbred as part of ‘ruling elite’

Some kind of Paddy Ho-Tep.

Irish Habsburgs?? Neat!

1 Like

I’m gonna go all neck beard beer geek and comment that Sip is actually brewed in CT. Lawson’s other stuff is brewed up in VT.

For sours from VT (I know you know but adding for others) Hillfarmstead is the place. Though you’ll have to make the long ass trip up there because I don’t think they distribute outside VT

1 Like

Maybe things have changed since I’ve been out of the beer scene for a while but it seems like you basically can’t get any of the best VT beers Iess you live in the northeast which is a problem.

My parents bought a 3450 sf home in the Seattle burbs for
$11/sf in 1974. It was constructed in 1968, so was still fairly new. I paid $237/sf for a newly constructed 2350 sf home in 2003 and the value has more than doubled since then. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I find toddlers to be pretty dumb, so don’t beat yourself up.

1 Like

Huh. I knew they had a location down there, but didn’t know that Sip of Sunshine was only brewed there. Figured they just did that one in both places considering its popularity.

They barely distribute inside VT.

It’s not a problem if you live in the Northeast!

But yeah, this is still pretty true according to the beer snobs I know who occasionally bring me good stuff with harrowing tales of what they had to go through to get it. Then I feel a bit bad about drinking it because while I enjoy it, my cheap beer palate isn’t really capable of truly appreciating it.

It’s not just VT either. The entire New England beer scene is hyper-local, insular, and not focused on widespread distribution at all.

That’s kinda the whole craft beer world these days. Hazy IPA one offs released biweekly at the brewery only. It’s my favorite style so I’m cool with it, but there has been a huge influx in shitty NEIPAS.

I went to Portland Maine for my bachelor party 2 years ago and had such an awesome time. All we did was hop around breweries and eat seafood. 10/10. Would have done it again this fall, but something came up.

Obviously no one can argue with the former, but as for the latter I’d like to throw Chicago in the mix.

I know a bunch of dudes that work in the craft beer industry. I’ve had fewer than 10 beers over the last year because removing beer from the diet is the easiest way to drop lots of lbs so my info may by outdated. But if you’re within driving distance, TreeHouse in MA is regarded as the best NE IPA around.

I also did a bachelor party in Portland like 4 years ago for a friend. We got a 3 hour tour of Allagash Brewery, including popping bottles in their aging room which had 100s of barrels of beer aging like wine and also more bottles in their coolship (essentially a small wooden building where the beer is poured out onto a giant table that sits overnight to allow the Maine night air to circulate over it), which I’ve gotta say was pretty awesome even though I had no where near the appreciation for beer like others do.

Not for nothing but Denver was doing craft beer in the mid to late 90s when I was out there and before I got there I had no idea the stuff even existed. It was amazing. All the different pubs downtown had their own unique brews you couldn’t get anywhere else. I assumed everyone there drank Coors :joy:. I enjoyed most of them.