LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Here’s the source of the reference to “I’m a man! I’m 40!”

3 Likes

But yeah Gundy hates the MSM, likes OAN because they “just report the news without all the commentary” (his exact words). Idiot.

1 Like

“I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!”

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/tevenjenkins/status/1272616619328536584?s=21

Replies are legit triggering

2 Likes

Is it too late to vote for asteroid?

1 Like

“So, do you want to come play for us or that known racist at OSU?”

Don’t see how Gundy can keep his job. Great call-out by a player and support from O-line.

Love the solidarity from the on-line. Man, if college players realize how much power they could have by banding together…

I live in New Mexico where in the last couple of days there’s been a debate about the removal of the statue of a Spanish conquistador who murdered over a thousand Native Americans.

Even though New Mexico is a fairly blue state, this doesn’t shield us from stupid. Among the usual arguments of “why are you trying to erase history” and “everything offends people nowadays”, I saw some particularly stupid comments on Facebook (I know, I know) that I just had to post here. In particular, the last one reminded me of wirelessbro.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1272611309641760769

5 Likes

White straight guy here, this isn’t true lol.

7 Likes

Nah, being a straight white dude is pretty chill.

9 Likes

“white” is a BS identity. It essentially just means privileged/not-discriminated against. People who identify as white in one country, sometimes come here to find that they are no longer white.

1 Like

Wat. Maybe it’s different in Germany, but in the us they still benefit a ton from all sorts of discrimination. Like one company I used to work for had a workforce that was 70% Hispanic while management was 90% white dudes.

2 Likes

This community is itself an example of one way in which straight white men belong to a group. In this case the group is formed mostly around political identity on the left. A lot of conservative political identity in the US is also basically group identity for straight white men. There’s also gaming and other hobbyist communities, and a great deal of sports.

I think you’re focusing in on white very specifically, but social groups don’t have to frame their identities explicitly around race or gender in order to function as social identities for white men. I don’t think most white men feel particularly alienated in this way, although a subset of men seem to feel much more alienated around gender issues than race issues (e.g. men’s rights movements, incels, etc.) But I think only a relatively small minority of white men are very concerned about any of these things. People with conservative political leanings do tend to criticize anti-racist or feminist movements as being too hostile to white men, but the criticism isn’t about an inability to belong, it’s that they feel attacked by over-generalized negative sentiments about white men.

There’s also a lot of interesting research on how people respond to changes in their perceived relative status, which is sort of similar, but not exactly like what you are saying. I was looking at this paper briefly the other day. It’s also basically the subject of this book. But status anxiety is also not quite about alienation.

I do think that sometimes people veer a little too far into it being fashionable to make overgeneralized negative comments about white men. And the white men who are not bothered by it (including me) tend to be of relatively high status, which probably explains a lot why we’re not bothered. But on the whole I don’t think it constitutes such a problem as to make life really hard for anyone.

1 Like

Some of this is really about conflating race and ethnicity. African American is closer to an ethnicity. We say black when we often mean black Americans.

So the analogue, with regard to group identity, is something more like having Norwegian heritage, or celebrating some other specific ethnic heritage. White and black, when denoting race, are not really equivalent.

Apparently twitter is adopting the love muffin style of censorship. I reported this guy for literally using the N-word replying to a Floyd thread. I was honestly surprised they didn’t have an automatic filter for that word.

So I got the report back that the post violated their terms of service. I checked the account. Yep, still going: https://twitter.com/KidPokerFanNB/with_replies

Here’s two deleted posts:

He’s also a big Matusow political opinion fan as well.

1 Like

I shaved off my beard for the first time in over 20 years. I was trimming it and figured well now is the time to see how horrendous I look w/o a beard. Even if I have to go out in public I can wear a mask.

I seem to have developed a set of jowls since the last time. I look like Mitch McConnell. Ears and nose keep growing your whole life while the chin gets smaller apparently. I keep getting lost in the mirror every time I walk past it, marveling at how ugly I really am w/o the beard. It’s like a bad acid trip.

Never again.

Also I won’t enjoy Mitch McConnell turtle jokes any more.

1 Like

It isn’t.

2 Likes

Since she’s in Germany, think how Turks would be treated if Merkel was somehow replaced by the AfD.

Just the hardest. Name one group that has it rougher!

1 Like