LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

There is a a amazing site for getting access to all journals. Pm is you want it.

Academia has been experimenting with different business models for a while now.

Google Scholar compiles papers for tons of sources both free and not free.

I used Science Direct when I was getting my master’s but had a free account through the school.

Anyway, fuck people who keep information vital to public interest behind paywalls.

1 Like

I’m back baby! I don’t like my chances against a juiced to the gills heavyweight but money is money

I’d echo trying legit sites like Academia.edu and ResearchGate before pirating the paper. You could also email the author if you are willing to wait a few days. Most academics are happy to send you their work and using these legit sites makes them feel happy by showing download and view numbers.

edit: and then pirate it without feeling bad if the above doesn’t work.

Citation? I mean I guess it comes down to what the above phrase means, maybe we’re not really disagreeing.

Are the hunger signals and levels of satiety achieved by one’s body partially subject to genetics? I’d totally buy that.

Is the ability of person A to maintain a somewhat higher weight than person B without adverse health issues (due to fat distribution etc.) influenced by their genes? I don’t doubt that at all.

My only problem is if you’re trying to tell me there’s some genetic mechanism whereby a person’s body massively slows its metabolism, to a level beyond the most severe hypothyroid cases, to make it extraordinarily difficult or impossible to go outside a certain weight range. If there’s ever been scientific evidence of this I’d love to see it.

1 Like

4 Likes

Anyone having an urge to argue the obesity/overweight thing, do us a favor and just go read this two 2+2 thread instead.

You Talk to Fatties (extracted from Scams thread)

Thread protagonist went on to make a H&F thread:

YTF: The Log That Put H&F On The Map (RIP)

Spoiler alert:

YTF died of a heart attack in 2019.

2 Likes

This fucking sucks. Roy was one of my favorites. Phenomenal fighter when he was so fast that people couldn’t deal with him. I hate Tyson. Tremendously overrated. Folded like a deck of cards when someone wasn’t afraid - even to Holyfield who was naturally a light-heavyweight at best.

Roy fought at his best at like 170lbs. Just because he weighs more now as an old man doesn’t mean he belongs now or ever belonged with a heavyweight. George Foreman could get away with being old and slow because he was huge and powerful. Roy can’t. Hopefully enough is wrong with Tyson for him to lose.

And that’s all aside from this sort of thing just being pathetic.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1286340457405054977

he did?? wtfff

RR broke the news in YTF’s health and fitness thread linked above, here’s the post.

just read it. sad

Only 52 when he died.

That forum that the tucker writer got busted for had a couple of legit-looking studies about race and IQ. One of them was IQ vs. darkness of skin tone (so how much white you have in you). Seriously. I feel like it was even peer-reviewed. I looked up the publisher and it was a super dodgy pay-to-play.

It’s scary these guys are learning how to emulate real studies. The big mantra we always use is - “is it peer-reviewed”? Well there you go libtard, peer-reviewed study. Chessmate. Oh now you’re telling me this publisher isn’t legit? Sure just keep changing the rules as you go along. Your publisher vs. my publisher blah blah - go cry snowflake.

Right. And that was a mistake and retracted. And there are 100 studies that say vaccines don’t cause autism.

But these race IQ studies are just pure pay to play and they’re sneaking into the conversation - at least in scary corners of the web.

I’m not saying it didn’t do massive damage. I’m just making a point about these race IQ things which are a whole different animal.

It’s an exhibition fight not the real thing.

It’ll be a joke like when Ali “fought” Michael Dokes.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s contained to the scary corners of the web. This is the culmination of a program started by the Kochs/Federalists decades ago. They’ve funded think tanks and non-profits that specialize in pushing the Koch agenda disguised as impartial research. They donate millions to “liberal” universities to start an ecology/environmental department, then push to have their coal and gas buddies head the department, or have their think tank provide “guidance” for the curriculum. They pay for a young ideologue to get a PhD, then that person gets quoted in all the Federalist-funded white papers, showing that fracking is actually great for the environment!!1! It’s insidious, well organized, and very well funded. (I’m not saying the Kochs specifically are funding fake race science, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they were. If nothing else, they’ve created the blueprint for every kind of RWNJ to gain bullshit credentials for their ideas.)

Jane Mayer writes about it some in Dark Money.