LC thoughts for intellectual elites

Nine minutes single take is awesome.

the world
always goes on, breaking us with its changes
until our form, exhausted, runs true
–Joanne Kyger

2 Likes

I will readily admit all the times I turtled. And more troubling, all the the times I outright manipulated out of fear and cowardice, all in an effort to keep pursuing what I wanted. Which is beyond shitty and something you have to learn to never, ever do. But ultimately, I’ve just tried to do my best, own my worst, and keep surviving and doing even better. But the troubling thing about this whole path should be obvious…

This kind of experience is what breeds conservatism.

When you grow up believing you have a proverbial “spot,” even if you have to work your ass off for it, it breeds fear you will not get your spot. And it breeds fear you will lose your spot once you have it. It breeds the fear you might not be destined for the thing you were told (and believed) you could do your whole life. It breeds jealousy. It breeds resentment of those who you believe do not get their spot “for the right reasons.” Especially because they’re not as smart or good as you. And to be clear, that’s all fucking garbage. Not only are there no “spots” in this way, it’s completely wrong way to open and close your brain up. Because you actually do want to be myopic in the sense that you don’t worry what’s going on with others, there is only your path . There is only working hard and trying to do right. You can’t worry about the other person. And when you do look externally? You want to realize you work in an industry built around a communal, collaborative art form. It is an industry where “a rising tide lifts all boats” and you can help one another. Thus, to be fearful and think in terms of “conservation,” really only hurts you.

And most of all, you cannot imagine how much harder it’s been for people who haven’t been told “they can do it” all their lives.

-FilmCritHulk

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about time management a lot lately. I have so many things I want to do but not enough time to do them so I pick the easier/laziest option.

I’ve heard of people actually planning out every hour of every day so they can accomplish what they want but that seems so regimented I feel like I’d grow to resent it.

I know that feeling. What are some things you wish you were doing instead?

“productive” things I want to do:

Learn to play the guitar/ukulele
A bunch of books I want to read
Go to the gym more
Learn to/actually cook more

2 Likes

You took away from me.
I tried to get it back.

I ought to share a text-exchange I just had with my boss lmao

@JohnnyTruant

2 Likes

2 Likes

We got this thread back on track. It almost became a tab blog.

Who wants to take a few hits?

2 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

5 Likes

Like, even divorced from the context of Holmes and Theranos, what a completely absurd thing to say.

2 Likes

Eh… it’s obviously not strictly true, but it is kinda true for very ambitious goals.

1 Like

and marriages

bros, check out the segment of this most recent Frontline, starting at approx 2:35. Hardcore

4 Likes

It is motivational bullshit that is true only in your head but should not be taken seriously. You are never going to be in as much control over your future as you think you are. Your car tire doesn’t care how committed you are to making that meeting if you run over a nail. That old projector doesn’t care about your motivation if you didn’t bring the right adapter.

3 Likes

Yeah I think what cassette is trying to say is that sometimes there shouldn’t be a backup plan, like when you bluff shove in poker there is no answer to the question “what is your backup plan if you get called”. If that happens you’re just going to lose. There are situations where bothering to think about backup plans is malinvestment of time and energy. The dumb thing about the quote is that it should just read “admitted there’s a chance you’re not going to succeed”, whereupon it becomes clear that the message is “don’t even consider the possibility that you might fail” which is dumbass motivational poster pablum.

1 Like

For me it’s just hilarious that some scam artist can say a bunch of farcical inspirational quotes and be put in charge of 10 billion dollars of investor money because all the venture capitalist bros got horny for her.

I’m going to steal a joke from twitter here (sorry, don’t remember who said it originally), but the Theranos story is like when Batman and Robin had to fight Poison Ivy but they couldn’t because they were too horned up so then Batgirl had to step up and kick ass. Like all these venture capitalist bros just wanted to throw money at her but then some technician whistleblower girl who worked in her lab was like “this is all bullshit” and that brought Holmes down.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, what I came in here to say is that I saw that #RevolverMassacre was trending in my area and I was all bracing myself like “O shit it’s another mass shooting in Ohio” but it turns out it’s just local Rust Belt wrestlers being excellent on the barnstorming circuit and if Dvaut was here he would appreciate this bit of Midwestern Americana. Just a straight-up carnie act for yokel marks in Ohio and it’s great and no one got shot.

https://twitter.com/idontlovethat/status/1228500242129149952?s=20

lmao I always forget that wrestling is a thing. That’s awesome.