Law and Order

I definitely think she got a lighter sentence because she was a blonde lady police officer.

I know others have said that it is a miracle a police officer was even convicted and I do not disagree. However that does not change the fact that her punishment should have been more.

You’re screaming into the wrong room. There is virtually nobody here that is saying our justice system isn’t a biased shit hole. Yes, had she been a black male she would have been tried and convicted of 1st degree murder (called capital murder in Texas), but given what could be proved 2nd degree murder (simply called murder in Texas) is probably the more appropriate charge. Prosecutors can get away with charging black men with more severe crimes because we have a shitty justice system. Yes, had she been anything other than a decent looking blonde lady she would have gotten a harsher sentence. Those harsher sentences come from the fact that we have a shitty justice system, they shouldn’t even be an option.

It is purely circumstance that our biased justice system luckboxed it’s way into a roughly appropriate sentence for her. Our system of punishment is bullshit, it should be about rehabilitation. The absolute max sentence for anything should be ~25 years (basically the Norway system). Max for 2nd degree murder should be 15 years or so with 10 years being a perfectly normal sentence.

I’m open to the possibility that I might be a brainwashed American, but that strikes me as crazy. Jeffrey Dahmer out in 25 years? Or are you saying per crime? So up to 425 years for him?

Now just to reiterate. Our justice system sucks, however:

Off duty cop indicted for murder is progress. (seriously just google off duty cop killed, there are plenty of stories where they aren’t even charged)
Off duty cop convicted of murder is major progress.
White lady gets favorable treatment is standard, but that doesn’t mean she should get worse. It just means our system is LDO biased.

The Norway model gives the ability to keep people locked up past the max possible sentence. It takes another hearing where the state has to prove the individual is still a danger to society, thus giving the inmate another shot at due process while giving the state the ability to keep Jeffrey Dahmer types locked up forever.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know where else to scream. There are only 3 ways I can think of to change a shitty justice system. One is at the voting booth. The other is mass protests. And the third, albeit least helpful, is to express outrage, which is what I’m doing. Your nonchalant ho-hum there’s nothing remarkable to see here, struck me as pretty off putting, especially since you seem to understand how broke the system is

And I don’t think it’s just about race or gender. It’s all about money too. I’m sure her union got her some top notch defense attorneys. Most poor working class minorities can’t afford that kind of representation. Our law and order system sucks and needs to be changed. I have no idea how, but I get incensed when even progressives tell me to pipe down on the inequality stuff when it comes to police and the justice system

1 Like

She’s not eligible for parole so she’ll serve all 10. Texas is not a state that is known for being friendly to murderers. Then again I knew a guy in Texas who got (and served!) 15 years for kicking in a girlfriends door during an argument… so I’d agree that in context her punishment is a little light.

I remember hearing that too. No parole.

I also don’t think inmates make it easy on cops in prison. I heard/read somewhere that it’s better to do 10 years as a regular Joe than 5 as a cop, so there’s that

I’m also in agreement with Will/Norway on 25 year max sentences and even less for non violent crimes. The purpose of jail should be to rehabilitate, not seek revenge. Except perhaps for violent crimes. Not sure how to feel about those

She’s going to women’s prison so odds are it won’t be as hellish as it would be in men’s prison. In men’s prison she’d be facing doing her entire time in solitary for her own protection. Texas is notorious for not having air conditioning in some of its prisons. She’s going to be punished sufficiently if that’s what people are looking for.

Judge also hugged the convicted murderer

Joshua Brown, a neighbor of Botham Jean and a testifying witness to his murder, was shot to death last night:

https://twitter.com/MeritLaw/status/1180604548596916224?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1180604548596916224&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Fcop-in-america-doing-a-bad-job-again.420394%2Fpage-101

1 Like

DPD protecting and serving

Revolution

I might have to reconsider what Cactus has been proposing.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1181640289867485184

Sounds legit. :roll_eyes:

Crack sprinkled all over the place.

This shit pisses me off and is constantly happening. I didn’t realize what was going on when I was younger but anytime I would go to stores with any of my black friends we would always have security nearby looking our way and anytime I went alone or with my cousins/white friends no one would care even if we were being loud or messing around. I can’t imagine how some of my friends felt knowing that they were being watched almost anywhere they go. When I talked to some of them in college they would mostly just see it as the way society is and something that they are used to and basically expect as part of their life which is depressing as fuck

Yeah, driving with expired tags is such an easy and obvious test of this. I basically have never considered expired tags even remotely likely to get me pulled over and I’ve had them plenty of times. But that’s definitely not true if you’re Black.

We did have our tag stolen (or fell off) not too long ago and our tag was then more than 1 year overdue, and that definitely gets you pulled over. I think we were pulled over 3 times in that one day. That does go to show you though that the million times I was expired by less than a year it was probably noticed by police and I was given a pass.