Labor in the USA

3 Likes

Fucking oof.

Any chance Andy Levin makes a name for himself on the national stage?

That headline seems misleading, I assumed that it meant the lobbyist would be appointed Secretary of Labor but it seems like he was just added to the transition team? Am I missing something?

Left wing: why should we pay for people to commute to work

So good at this.

This is why I do my own grocery shopping in-store during the COVID era.

That seems like a bit of rationalization to justify the convenience of not doing something for yourself. Supporting a company that treats its employees like shit is wrong. Shopping for Instacart doesn’t seem like such a niche job that workers there couldn’t find as good or better job somewhere else. I imagine a lot of them are trying to if it’s as bad as you say.

tl;dr I don’t think enabling a shitty company is the right choice.

1 Like

This is exactly why the idea of individual responsibility for consumption choices is a scam to distract people from the fact that governments globally aren’t doing their job regulating companies.

It shouldn’t be likely that your shoes were made with slave labor. That’s supposed to be some underground organized crime shit not the norm.

2 Likes

There might be some people who have financial independence by having a spouse that works or choose to retire, but I am not sure that I understand the argument that people have just decided that they don’t want their old jobs, especially for people who previously had jobs in the service industry, since they need to pay their bills. Is it possible that they still have unemployment savings and will just wait until they absolutely have to go back to work because they don’t want to get covid and work sucks in general?

People working 3 jobs @ 20 hrs each before are working 2 @ 30 due to demand, poof, one job “abandoned”.

No one has any savings. Some people maybe weren’t paying rent or something.

There are plenty of jobs available in the non service economy… and the good service economy employees have already found those jobs because they didn’t actually have a choice the last couple of years. They’re never coming back.

Imagine being a shift leader at a fast food place making 13 bucks an hour on 32 hours a week without benefits… and getting a construction job that pays 18 bucks an hour on 40 hours of work a week. Yeah you’re never going back. Both jobs suck, but one of them sucks a lot harder.

What happens to people not physically capable of doing a construction job but capable of working at McDonald’s?

There are plenty of call centers etc. This is about higher productivity workers in low paid public facing industries being physically forced to try other stuff… and never returning to their old industry post pandemic.

It’s about office workers who tasted freedom with WFH being totally unwilling to return to the office as well. Basically they pushed everyone to the breaking point and now the labor market as it existed in early pre pandemic 2020 is never coming back.

I expect that the bottom quintile of jobs are going to have to improve working conditions and pay quite a bit to remain a thing.

There’s a point where even being a wage slave is not enough to motivate work. Service industry people are literally dealing with QAnon lunatics physically assaulting them because your minimum wage worker asked then to put on a mask because its store policy. There’s a point where being a charity case is actually preferable to having a job.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1556466211399110657?s=20&t=F6LJikmfN02GYJUs1uLXdA

I thought ‘pressing charges’ was mostly a myth.

Dramatic video from inside the store as the kidnapping is happening

From the comments, I learned that the guy’s failure to move without being asked to is, in fact, the same as kidnapping. From now on, to hell with saying “excuse me”, I’ll just start pushing slow pokes out of my way and the good people of tiktok will have my back. Wonder if it applies on the road too.

1 Like

Unless the guy who didn’t move were a cop, in which case the manager is guilty of assaulting a police officer

1 Like