Kinetic Wrist Sculptures

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-07-01/crypto-stock-meltdown-hits-rolex-patek-philippe-audemars-piguet-watches

reading this, you would think prices have completely collapsed. lol, they’ve barely notched back.

https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1544919478495895553

all of these watches are still higher than they were going for just last year! some “collapse”

https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1544918909458952193

2 Likes

holy shit there’s a rainbow royal oak because of course there is

please tell me there’s a leopard offshore

1 Like

:vince2:

1 Like

Omega Seamaster Diver Professional 300m

Some call this the Bond Seamaster because it effectively debuted on the wrist of Pierce Brosnan in 1995’s Goldeneye, but the watch has since been associated with two other high-level figures. The first is Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

The other is President Biden, who’s worn the watch quite publicly for just about two decades now. His appears to be one the earlier era models, circa the mid-1990s, with a blue wave-pattern dial, painted markers, text at six o’clock, and a slightly different shade of blue aluminum bezel.

:vince2:

Seiko 7T32-6M90 Chronograph

This oddball is about as specific a watch as you’re ever going to see: A quartz-powered Seiko chronograph in two-tone steel and gold(tone), with an alarm function. The 7T32 designation represents the quartz movement inside the watch, a movement produced by Seiko from the late '80s to the early aughts.

:vince1:

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

What if I told you that President Biden is the first to ever wear this watch in office? Well, I’m telling you. A watch with so much horological history intertwined with American history has never found itself on the wrist of a sitting prez, until now.

:vince3:

Apple Watch

:harold:

Rolex Datejust

When we spotted this one on Inauguration Day, the Jubilee bracelet was the giveaway that made us look closer. Then we saw the smooth bezel, the sunray blue dial, and those thick white markers. This was a Datejust, a modern Datejust in its larger 41mm sizing.

:vince4:

Starting to warm up to this lying dog-faced pony soldier. Having a Seiko quartz and Apple Watch in the mix there is a good strategy to balance the range from affordable everyman stuff to attainable luxury, unlike David Dennison’s gold Patek and VC oligarch class watches that no one can identify with. That article leaves out a very important watch though: the Vulcain Cricket Alarm.

:vince:

2 Likes

I know you love the rainbow color schemes the most but are too practical to pay $100k for a Daytona. However, are you familiar with the Wakmann Regate “Clint Eastwood” that he wore in The Bridges of Madison County? The strap on this one even has a bit of a leopard spot effect!

2 Likes

Not gonna lie I’d rock that as a daily.

2 Likes

do not want sleepy robinette seiko

was looking at one of my infinite drunk watch spreadsheets the other day and have “some pepsi GMT” budgeted at 5K uh not sure how old that spreadsheet is but seems unrealistic. Have lately been searching for fun moonphase and at some point almost talked myself into a Ball Trainmaster moonphase but it didn’t stick. Ball usually does solid lume imo though behold

2 Likes

holy shit this is amazing

If I could only pick watches from one decade, I’d definitely pick the 70s. It was that perfect moment in history where watches were actually popular, mechanical mass production was solved, and quartz wasn’t quite born yet. Tons of oddball mechanical watches. The only reason I don’t own more of them is because shopping is tricky. India bros have created a cottage industry of redials and Frankensteins that dominate the listings, and the guts range anywhere from original in horrifying condition to FrankenCalibers to completely non-original movements jammed into the case, often extremely cheap Chinese ones.

One project I’ve had on the backburner for a while is just buying all of the equipment to do it myself, but it’s quite an investment for something that tedious with a nontrivial learning curve. I noticed while trying to figure out parts for my c.1970 Zodiac that its movement (Zodiac Cal. 86) is just an A.Schild 1687/1688 with a signed rotor, so I was able to get the parts I needed relatively cheaply (about $6-10 per piece, while my watchmaker was quoting $80-$100). Probably could have gotten off even lighter waiting for a decent AS1687/8 junk/parts listing on ebay.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about (70s watches):

A 1972 Zodiac Astrographic RENO INVITATIONAL. The Dr. Pepper chronographs are probbaly the best but the prices reflect that.

Are the Christopher Ward Moonglows on your radar? The lume on the newest one looks crazy.

It’s all Super Luminova. The most interesting part though is this JJ04 movement:

Unlike most moonphase complications that transition once per day, JJ04 offers a more dynamic approach. Using the Sellita SW220 as a base, the date wheel, along with its spring-loading assembly, have been stripped out and replaced by four further wheels to drive the moon disc, with two more required for the setting mechanism.

The result is a smooth perpetual action that sees the moon arc gracefully across the star-filled night sky, and if kept wound, Calibre JJ04 will remain accurate to a day every 128 years.

:vince3:

The part I’m not sold on is this lower smoked glass piece that obscures the bottom moon:

Might be one of those things you have to see in person. There’s an older model called the C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase which is more traditional in appearance. Also the C9 Moonphase which might be my favorite.

Bump got another one

2 Likes

ebay now recommending cool shit to me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154311402523

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0036/8263/1791/products/White_Front_Display_7471637f-e822-4c66-8d46-97dd0133b82e.png?v=1641388240

LOL

2 Likes

Just started wearing a watch again and I love this. Different direction from most of this thread obv

2 Likes

https://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/cDCByZ3x18Hx.gif

1 Like

On vacation in NYC I looked at a Longines at the boutique in WTC. I wasn’t ready to buy right then, but the saleswoman was very helpful and gave me her card in case I wanted to buy later.

I live in Atlanta so I assume I can source locally, but as mentioned, I wanted her to get the sale. Are there any pitfalls or anything I should be aware of in buying the watch remotely from the NYC location (in terms of service, warranty, etc)?

Not to my knowledge. This was an AD I presume? Out of curiosity, which model(s) are you interested in?

yes at an AD. Conquest blue dial (41 or 39mm can’t remember)

1 Like