Kamala / Walz 2024

I know a couple people that have done that, and have been on a bird shooting excursion where someone brought their dog. I get it, the dog was happy as hell, but I think there are plenty of ways to enrich your dog’s life without needing to do something like that. I wouldn’t do it with my dog.

2 Likes

I’ve gone to junior field dog trials where they plant the birds, the dogs find and point and you flush it and fire a starter’s pistol in the air where the judge takes note if your dog has a reaction to shot.

I own three!

All powder flint rifles. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nah, that’s pretty normal in the US, something like one in three Americans own a gun.

1 Like
Where do you live and is there a gun in your home?
  • I live in the US. There are no guns in my home.
  • I live in the US. There are one or more guns in my home.
  • I do not live in the US. There are no guns in my home.
  • I do not live in the US. There are one or more guns in my home.
0 voters

I mean I frequently do have bears on my property but they’re the type that run off when you wave your arms and yell at them, which is the vast majority of the bears in the US. Maybe If I were in grizzly country I’d give it a thought.

1 Like

During a time when I had barely two pennies to rub together, I lived in a really bad area of Indianapolis and a person once got murdered in my building. If ever I was going to get a gun for self-protection, I guess that would have been the time. Was never a serious thought, but I guess would have been a somewhat rational one. It would feel completely absurd for me to own one today.

That said, I wouldn’t really bat an eye at someone having a hunting hobby. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

I hated deer hunting.

Bird hunting is the only one that I enjoyed. Lot of walking, dogs running amok. It’s more of an armed hike.

I voted yes in the poll, but they’re hunting weapons, and I haven’t hunted in literally decades.

1 Like

I have a gun in my house. But to be fair, I didn’t buy it, my dad a gun/hunting nut bought it for me as a gift, and it hasn’t been shot or even out of the safe in probably 10 years.

Yeah at least with pheasant/quail hunting, you’re moving. The most miserable morning of my life was sitting in a freezing cold duck blind with my stepdad.

3 Likes

My dad tried to take me hunting as a kid. When I was really young probably 6-7 he took me deer hunting. It was cold and boring and I complained until he told me to walk to the truck and sit in it until he was done. It was probably a couple hours I sat there by myself. Later he tried to take me duck hunting. We get up in the middle of the night to get in position before sunrise. As soon as we get to our spot I have to shit something fierce. We just leave and don’t come back. He never tried to take me hunting again.

9 Likes

I agree with all the above. Stationary hunting sucks. Active hunting can be fun, if you’re into that kind of thing.

I don’t own a gun myself, and don’t plan to, but have probably been hunting 100+ times in my life with my dad. It’s one of his biggest hobbies. This all might make for a good breakout thread if enough people are interested in it. I’ve always struggled with a desire to ban guns, or at least a belief that almost everyone is better off not owning guns, and yet an appreciation for “true” hunting.

1 Like

I occasionally think I should have a gun. Then I remember all the times in the past I thought I should have a gun, and the fact that I am confident that if I had indulged that thought when I was young I would likely not be here right now. So I don’t have a gun. If the time comes when I need to join the resistance I’ll be a cook or something.

6 Likes

You can do what Canada does and allow people to own hunting rifles or shotguns with the completion of a gun safety course. Any sort of handgun or automatic / semi automatic weapon is restricted and can only be transported in locked safes from your house directly to a gun a range without stopping (if you get gas or pick up a friend on the way you have committed a felony).

You also need a damn good reason to own a restricted firearm and self defense is not an option. A friend’s brother has a restricted firearm license due to being a cop and leaves his gun at work because bringing it home would mean he has to comply with all the same restricted firearm rules as everyone else.

Also the government will come to your house, often annually at random times to ensure your restricted weapon is properly locked in a certain type of safe. You have to let them in immediately to inspect and if it’s not locked properly → felony.

9 Likes

Grunch: Gavin Newsom does not have a speaking slot.

Source: Gavin Newsom

Yes, that’s in the hotel bar at 1 am. I asked him specifically for y’all

39 Likes

https://x.com/AmyMcGrathKY/status/1826285662720737738

1 Like

That seems insane to me.

Leaving one of your top orators on the bench? Its like not sending in Rivera because the game is tied even though you HAVE to win.

1 Like

There has to be more to it, doesn’t there? Like he wasn’t going to accept anything less than a prime slot and they wouldn’t give him one? I cannot imagine it’s as simple as him not being asked.

According to my new pal Gavin, it’s because they didn’t want it to be too California-heavy.

Of course there’s always the possibility that he was bullshitting and he’ll speak tomorrow.

Also, what is happening?!
https://x.com/kentksmith/status/1826243212367036561?s=46&t=k3YA52U8SV6oodQANcy20g

1 Like

Had to look up the guy who proudly boasts of having retired as a Corporal and not only is he one of three members of Congress who never attended a college program leading towqrd a degree, but since Kristie Noem left the House for North Dakota he has the honor of (probably) being the only Member of Congress who has shot a dog.
Of course he pulled himself up by his bootstraps while managing the family business.