Jeopardy! Thread (No spoilers until after the show EST)

I think the director question was in the 21st century, no?

1 Like

There were Academy Awards pre 1900?

ahaha Ken Jennings with an elite tweet there. Totally rooting for him. I do appreciate why the poker world roots for James, and I think he’s a favorite over KJ and everyone else, in any format, but especially h/u. James went to my grade school in Illinois for a minute; apparently he wasn’t too focused at the time! And lol is it true that James posted on 2p2 asking for ideas on how to make a good impression on the Jeopardy live audition and was advised to smile more? Because man he sure ran with that advice straight into the uncanny valley.

I’m on learnedleague; it’s tougher/different than jeopardy but Ken and Brad obviously romp there too. I get that people can prep for trivia/quizbowl stuff in a focused way, but still, it’s sort of breathtaking how many millions of balls can be juggled into a private planetary ring by the regnant gods of trivia who can then pluck any one of the balls individually out of space and puff it into voice in a tenth of a second. Ultra athletic brains on pageant, very fun and very scary, best to just make room, “move most gently if move you must in this lonely place” etc

1 Like

I just looked this up and it sounds amazing. What’s the membership process like? Any chance you’d send out some invites here?

I don’t remember which question it was but I knew one that none of these losers even buzzed in on. Conclusion: I am the GOAT.

Prediction: Jennings in 5.

Oh man, I could be down for this. Pub trivia just to be a regular thing for me in grad school.

+1

ahh here’s the best I can do: PM me if you’d like an invite, but no guarantees.

1. I only get one possible referral per season and I have a list of irl people queued up, so right now my next open invite is in 2021

2. LL is good but the big existential problem of the league is that it’s on the honor system and people definitely cheat. A ton of people cheat! Please note that I don’t think any of you would cheat! But some of my most beloved lifelong irl friends want invites and I absolutely do not give it to them, because they would 100% google everything they just would

3. I wouldn’t even care about that, but on LL you use your real name and tptb are apparently getting good at catching cheaters; every season there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of people booted. Unfortunately when this happens, the shame also somehow redounds on the head of the person who referred them. So when you refer people you have to sign something that vouches for the referral, OH IT"S VERY SERIOUS

4. but tbh all of that just makes me want to refer people more, because please, LL is for sure fun but it’s not mf’ing bildeberg it’s just some goofy online trivia thing. So yeah, PM me for an invite and then if we are all still on this site in the President Cotton era or whatever then I actually will try to follow up, I promise!

2 Likes

Sidebar: there are some minor celebs in the league, one of them is Mick Mulvaney. Dunno if this will surprise you but it turns out that Mick Mulvaney is emphatically not one of our nation’s best and brightest at trivia, and from time to time the dude misses questions about for example american history and current events that are sort of like, oh man, dang—ouch. Last year this led some LL member to out him publicly, and huffpost among others wrote a story about the trivia mediocrity of Mick Mulvaney.

Twist: this unexpectedly made me admire Mick Mulvaney. As in, my admiration went from zero to some other number above zero, because hey—the dude didn’t cheat. It’s not nothing. He knows people are watching, he knows people want him to look dumb, he’s human and he doesn’t want to look dumb, and he knows how to use google or at least bing…but the dude just stayed in there and took his lumps. Good job Mick Mulvaney. I hope that history judges you unmercifully but I also hope that whoever outed you in freaking online trivia feels like a chump that their life came to that

4 Likes

Gotta note scandal in the Friday Jeopardy (not a GOAT episode).

Question was about the location of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

Correct answer is “What is Palestine?”

Jeopardy ruled that incorrect, accepted “What is Israel?”

Someone’s Tweet: “So @Jeopardy decided it’s the new Skyes-Picot and can just rename countries on a whim.”

I will even though I don’t know what that means.

Free Palestine

Untitled

4 Likes

Many present day borders in ME were set after WWI when Britain and France divided up the territory taken from Ottomans in the Sykes-Picot Agreement. Syria and Iraq in particular were created by rando lines drawn on maps. Hijinks result as scrambled ethnicities compete for position.

1 Like

It sucks that tomorrow’s post count here alone is going to be a spoiler, but I don’t plan on clicking here until Weds when I see it on hulu

FYI you can turn off the post count notification by changing “Tracking” to “Normal” below the last post ITT

2 Likes

Spoiler isn’t working

I am going to post about tonight’s show 1/14

fuck everything

I’m watching on locast

https://www.locast.org/

Brad so obviously taking a dive, guessed Faraday and not Maxwell for electromagnetism, rofl give me a break. I haven’t seen this much tanking since Charles Van Doren.