ITV: Impeachment Television

Here in Czech (though I’ve heard plenty of other non-native speakers do it as well), I often hear Thanks God.

I don’t correct it for several reasons, but mostly because I prefer the way it sounds.

“Thanks, God! You’re a champ!”

4 Likes

Thank god for that:

1 Like

Imagine me as a small child trying to wrap my mind around the idea that the “Pennsylvania Dutch” actually came from… Germany.

I worked with a dev from Spain who would say Jiga-bytes instead of Giga-bytes and I use it every chance I get…

Great Scott!

4 Likes

Are there any public hearings today? If not anything scheduled for this week?

I never made that connection

What’s weird is in Back to the Future Marty pronounces “Giga” correctly but Doc beefs it.

2 Likes

Nothing today, but stuff on Tues, Wed, and Thursday including Vindman, Sondland and Volker.

Most interesting to me will be Sondland who seems like he has already lied under oath about a bunch of stuff (or, has the memory of the dude from Memento).
Who Is Testifying In This Week's Public Impeachment Hearings? : NPR

4 Likes

Why has no one ever done a Back to the Future prequel? I really want to know how the goofy neighborhood inventor got involved with Libyan terrorists. Like, the movie totally glossed over that plot point. That is some straight-up Breaking Bad shit.

6 Likes

Just spitballing names “Ahead to the Past” not great but something in that vein a magnitude more clever.

Or “Doc Brown’s Chicken Ranch and Paraphernalia Emporium”.

1 Like

Doc Brown needs some plutonium so he’s like “Oh, I’ll just use my ties to international terrorists to steal some.”

1 Like

Zemeckis won’t allow anyone to make another BTTF movie until he’s dead and long gone.

Your idea is cool!!! There actually have been a lot of side properties that explored all of these things and more, most notably the comic book run put out by IDW. This run was co-written by Bob Gale, the co-writer of the original trilogy, so you know you’re getting the good shit.

If comics aren’t your thing and you want a kind of BTTF movie sequel, the Telltale game was AMAZING, and the cut scenes stitched together are probably the closest we will ever get. The whole thing goes some fun and inventive places that would have been worthy of a real sequel.

I’m more interested in why Marty’s uncle is in prison.

Was connected w Epstein

2 Likes

Hahahahaha he was actually arrested for trying to join Biff’s gang and steal a fortune from Doc Brown’s mom.

Fun trivia!!! It’s hard to make out, but in the full USA Today page from BTTF 2 in 2015, you can see that Joey was denied parole. Again. And this was after, as Doc says, “they abolished all lawyers.”

1 Like

My students keep saying pro-NOUN-ciation instead of pro-NUN-ciation. I think a previous teacher taught them wrong.

2 Likes

I had an ESL college physics teacher who would pronounce Y0 as wye sub not. One day another student asked why the zero was called a knot and the teacher said he didn’t know. I wanted to correct everybody but I got exhausted just thinking about all the things I’d have to explain.

1 Like

i mean, the teacher wasn’t wrong in saying ‘wye sub not (naught)’

1 Like

I only learned very recently that Rick & Morty are based on Doc and Marty but in hindsight it was pretty obvious. Maybe that’s our prequel.

2 Likes