It's Worms All the Way Down: The Ivermectin Thread

The larger point is bullshit.

That’s the tone right there. Thanks for demonstrating

4 Likes

I’m adding a throttle to this thread for a while since it’s getting pretty heated up.

I’m also going to toss out a blanket warning that questioning other users’ mental health, in this or any other thread, will result in temp bans going forward.

1 Like

I think one comment was overly hostile to Ilkoi, while most were just of the “come on dude it’s fine” variety. Almost everyone here has been called an idiot at least once, and if this wasn’t a personal feud wouldn’t be worth bringing up months later.

2 Likes

I thought it was pretty clear that I was making a light hearted joke there and I think (?) I subsequently clarified. Given the amount of sarcasm on the site I dont think its a good idea to go through threads and drag out posts like this out of context. CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK!

I can’t use swears now? JFC

The problem with the vaccine discourse is anti-vaxxers are by and large Qanon level lunatics who also tend to vote for Trump, and showing any doubt whatsoever about its safety makes you feel like one of those people.

Now that we have a categorically rushed vaccine without decades of vetting at scale, it’s not that crazy to at least be a little uneasy about its overall safety. I took the vaccine as quickly as I possibly could, and obviously everyone should too, but I don’t think there is anything wrong or stupid about being a little unsure about it.

1 Like

Nonsense. One flag hasn’t hidden a post for me ever on this site. Goofy’s post was flagged less than 2 or so minutes. Another post of mine was flagged 15 hours or so later at about the same time. The captains literally talked about coordinated post flagging in their thread.

1 Like

This horse paste article in JAMA is so bad that I’m not quite sure what to think. I guess the thing that sticks out the most (other than changing the purpose of the study midstream followed by completely botching treatment randomization for > 2 weeks) is their choice of hazard ratio (1.4) and concomitant effect size (3 days). Is there some clinical relevance specifically for 3 days as opposed to fewer?

Because to me it looks like they figured out this was the smallest difference they could detect with acceptable power (80% is super common) after they decided to change the course of the study. They had the numbers to detect 3 days at alpha=.05, but the observed effect of 2 days yields p <= 0.53. Boy that’s a big jump that seems highly sensitive to some discrete value knife-edging.

On the surface it looks like one of those papers that does everything they tell you not to do.

1 Like

Is it really a mystery that how you say something is as important as what you’re trying to say?

Or, in other words, stop making shit up. No one ever said you couldn’t curse. Cut the bullshit.

1 Like

It’s obvious you and Chris don’t have a personal feud. That’s absurd. It’s clear when feuds are personal here. It is when posters who are not interested in the topic at hand at all come into the debate to make jabs at others, or posts from a long time ago that are not relevant are brought into the discussion.
The clearest “personal feud” posts here are the microbet ones, who just came in to fan flames and kicked off a lot of stuff.

I think it is clear that the way a bunch of people see many of these posts and the way you do are at odds. That is ok, but when there are a lot of people disagreeing with you in a good faith way about such, you should try to respect such.

You post like this and then try to tone police me. Absurd.

Right, it’s manually handled by mods.

That’s all well and good but as someone who sees the flags I am once again saying that there is no coordinated flagging happening. goofy’s hidden post had 1 flag.

So if it was a mod decision to hide that post, it’s a really bad one. Same for mine from yesterday.

Yeah we know you believe you should be allowed to condescend other users and call them dumb without consequence but I disagree.

5 Likes

Legit lol’d

Or in other words, no one said they’re trying to tone police you, bro. Cut the bullshit.

Back on the topic of worms, anyone else remember this game?

5 Likes

That’s the tone right there. Thanks for demonstrating

I guess I can get fucked then because people JAQing off on the internet is a huge component of the problem in USA #1 and probably most other places as well. We may not know everything 100% wrt Covid but we don’t need to know that to be able to label the Ivermectin crowd dumb and wrong and the Vaccine crowd less dumb and far less wrong.

Two people I know have died from Covid in the last month. It is very likely my partner’s parents will have a bad to fatal time with Covid. The Ivermectin bullshit is coming from the same places as all of the other greatest Covid hits like HCQ, masks don’t work, it’s just the flu and on and on and on. Guess what, it’s contributing to people making terrible choices and killing themselves and others. And even if we don’t care about that it’s crippling society for the foreseeable future. Those types of ideas shouldn’t be given oxygen and the onus is not on people following hundreds of years of science to disprove them or respect them unless we can 100% disprove them.

And ya science and especially the media get things wrong sometimes. That is harmful. I don’t disagree with any of that. But basically posting about how Ivermectin is a freeroll is not only wrong but harmful. Whether that is on Facebook or here. It isn’t a freeroll because these people are using Ivermectin INSTEAD OF ACTUAL COVID PREVENTATIVES LIKE VACCINES. Like a Venn diagram of Ivermectin users and vaccinated people likely has very little overlap. That seems to have been completely missed here.

8 Likes

Folks. a request to leave old drama out of it. This is a derail on a specific topic, not the bickering thread. I will move posts again though if needed.

1 Like