Is there anything Biden can do now to win over progressives?

No, it’s the Republican Party that starts wars. The US people as a whole are fed up with this shit.

And like, I get it, I’m not naive. I agree that Joe Biden and the rest of the dems are craven dipshits who will vote for war if they think they have to to stay in office. But George W Bush and his neocon acolytes are the ones who started this, just like Trump tried to start an Iran-US war and you’re telling me Trump is the anti-war choice.

Anyone who thinks either is also a moron.

Trump is not some generic republican with pro choice judges and trickle down fantasies we can all hate on as part of our political sportsmanship.

He is a unique threat to the world. He is complexity evil, totally incompetent and supremely self confident.

There is no excuse to even consider supporting anyone but whoever is running against him. Anyone. No matter who they are. Anyone.

Biden didn’t just vote for the war. He didn’t reluctantly support the war. He didn’t say “woah, this is not the AUMF I was supporting.” He’s not just the 50th percentile Democrat (a fair number of Democrats did oppose the war - a majority of Dems in congress voted against it). He’s one of the worst. Worse than many Republicans.

3 Likes

I guess I don’t share your angst about this dream scenario where we can snap our fingers and poof Jeb! is now the president. We have Trump for at least the next 9 months and I’m afraid that some time after Biden has sown up the nomination he’ll make a fatal gaffe that will doom us all to hell.

But he’s not worse than Donald Trump.

And like, I guess I get it if you want to abstain that’s one thing, but can you please not actively support the greater of two evils?

I’m voting for Biden. I’m not going to pretend he’s not shit. Maybe I’ll even do a better job of selling the choice by not pretending he’s ok.

Trolly, can you name one Republican member of congress you’d rather have as President than Joe Biden?

Yo, I agree Biden’s hot garbage. All I ask is that we focus on stopping Trump first and then we stop the establishment Democrats. Right now I think we need people to come turn out for the downballot contests and we shouldn’t discourage anyone. Go ahead an abstain from voting for Biden, but let’s bring a sea change in state and local offices.

It’s tough. Can’t think of one off the top of my head, but it’s possible there might be one.

We can eliminate all of the sycophants straight away, who does that leave? Mittens…that’s all I have. Are there any others that aren’t pure evil?

Several people itt literally saying trump.

Straight up saying they’ll vote for Trump? Or that their failure to vote for the dem is a vote for Trump? Not sure I agree with the latter if that’s what you think.

Mittens, who famously wanted to double Guantanamo and deny prisoners access to lawyers. That’s a no from me, dog.

ROMNEY: I am glad [detainees] are at Guantanamo. I don’t want them on our soil. I want them on Guantanamo, where they don’t get the access to lawyers they get when they’re on our soil. I don’t want them in our prisons, I want them there. Some people have said we ought to close Guantanamo. My view is we ought to double Guantanamo.

Latter is exact same as former. The one guy is even in a swing state.

Fair enough. Trump is way worse than W though, right? Thinking back it’s a tough call. Can you imagine what Cheney and his minions would have done if they had the No, Fuck You cheat code? I feel so incredibly fucked all of the sudden.

Grunching: I would hope Biden makes a shift at least a little left, perhaps even talking to Bernie once the primary is decided and finding a couple spots where he could improve, but it won’t affect my vote. I’m voting for Biden or Bernie, regardless. Even Bloomberg would have been better than Trump (well, maybe that’s arguable).

I know lots of Dems don’t like Biden, but we need to figure out how to rally around him when he’s the nominee. Bernie supporters (or other Dem candidates’ supporters) can’t keep calling him “Dementia Joe” and what-not. I’m not saying to not disagree with his positions if they are bad, but Trump absolutely needs to not be President and having liberals lobbing constant bombs at Biden isn’t going to help. Perhaps that’s naive of me to say/think, but we just need to get Trump the fuck out and proceed from there.

1 Like

not having an actual choice every election =/= preferring Trump to Biden

The issue is that the DNC fucks every primary and then goes into the general talking about this being the biggest election in history and we really need you on our side! Democracy (which we fucked 3 months ago) has never depended on you more! Drink the poisoned chalice we prepared for you or you are HITLER!!!

4 Likes

I voted for Hilary in 2016 and it would be very hard for me to do it again. I think Biden is a step up from her, but don’t begrudge anyone who hates Biden as much as I hate Hilary for not wanting to vote for him.

Not a tough call at this point. W has the blood of ~500,000 dead on his hands in addition to all of the other terrible shit. And every time the Dem estab is like “Hey trust us, vote for this electable shitrist.” Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Hillary (owned), Hillary resurrected, and now Biden. The 2004 one was the worst and most comparable to 2020. They have made it clear there will be no progressives and that they are not welcome in this party.

I think the main issue against Biden was the Impeachment trial, the GOP will ram that down voters throats that Trump had every right to Investigate and if it wasn’t for shifty Schiff and Nancy he would already be in jail.