Is the economy good or bad, and what is the economy, and how much should a person care about it

What? You registered your GJ account here because you’re mad that you can’t post at SPE. You’re projecting

Please stop!

Open to read for anyone, just to be clear, which is not what AQ was talking about in what you quoted.

GJ and Ike’s have different posting styles but both flair around

Right, that’s why I said it seems like anyone can sign up and thus post, like AQ was saying you couldn’t do in the part I quoted.

It is not, but thanks for spreading the word

1 Like

I see your point: If someone is earning $20k a year and spending all of it, does it really matter if their expenditures go up $460 a year (2.3%) or $520 a year (2.6%)? I mean, we’re talking $5 a month, right? Either way, they’re still hurting.

But I actually do think these measurements matter, at least a little. One of the arguments I see here (supporting the “Biden should campaign on the economy” view) is that the lowest quintile incomes have recently done better than higher quintiles on an inflation-adjusted basis. You could apply the same critique to that statement: Great, so they’re getting $10, $20, maybe even $50 a month more than they otherwise would have. But they’re still hurting, obviously, and the higher quintiles are experiencing greater increases on a dollar basis.

I think what that misses is how important those small differences are in assessing candidates and policies. Suppose that the lowest quintile average wage has gone up 0.5% faster than inflation, relative to other quintiles. That’s not much. It’s not enough to vault that group to what higher quintiles are making. It might not even feel very different from losing to inflation. But to me, it’s progress. It’s the difference between “policies have been moving things in the right direction, if not enough. We should continue and maybe even strengthen those policies” vs. “policies have been moving things in the wrong direction, and we should obviously reverse course”. So when I hear/read statements like “Things actually haven’t been getting better”, I’m interpreting that as “we need to abandon Biden policies and go back to Trump policies”, and I think that’s bad. Maybe I’m reading too much into the critique.

3 Likes

Ok, I am starting to see the problem here: you aren’t able to consider more than a single concept at a time.

This discussion already included data of how housing costs are a problem everywhere, including Alabama, by comparing wages to housing costs. You seem to think housing costs are not a problem in a city you cherry picked, Cincinnati. You base this on the average rent and its percent increase. You are not able to consider that Los Angeles wages don’t exist in Cincinnati. You are not able to consider that moving a thousand miles away from your home, community, and family is a big deal. You are not able to understand that there are no jobs waiting for these people you want to Trail of Tears away from you. You are not able to consider that these workers’ existence in your area make your entire life possible. You are not able to consider that moving a ton of people to Cincinnati might change housing demand more than supply.

I’m sure there’s more that I’m missing. “The quiet part out loud” as you put it, is not, as you contend, that no one wants to live in Kansas City. It’s that you literally cannot live without them being in the L.A. area, but you blame them for not commuting to you from Cincinnati

3 Likes

Yeah I definitely agree with you there.

Although I’m still not completely sold it’s a winning message for motivating voters.

Like many of those people you mentioned experiencing the small progress may look around and see stocks at all time high/etc and think if all I have to show for the greatest economy of all time is an extra (small amount of dollars)/month they might feel much less motivated to vote on basis of economics than during a downswing where they may be able to hope things will get way better than is realistically possible due to the promises of Biden.

I don’t know if there data to back this up but I feel like campaigning is like pumping some new cryptocurrency, it’s better to promise stuff than to try to point at how awesome your existing product is. (And I’m not saying having a good economy is bad, I just wonder if focusing more on future promises is better use of campaign effort)

This is a really funny post that talks down to someone not being “to consider more than a single concept at a time”, then following that up with a post that doesn’t consider how other aspects of inflation are down and real wages are up despite the housing increased mentioned.

Grunching but housing prices and rents have almost doubled in OKC since before Covid.

39% for housing
22% if you consider median pricing, which seems more relevant here

It’s a lot harder to find stuff on rent, but this was the first quick thing I could find. which shows essentially no increase.

OKC is in bottom 10-15 of rent in bigger cities.

Anyways, this claim is completely false.

My home has increased about 80% since pre-covid. Rents are way up. 39% may be right but from what I see doing budgets for hundreds of clients a year rent is way way up. Essentially no increase is just totally fictional man.

My point is that housing and rent is way up here. 39% is a ton and I think that is low tbh. Of course your data is old by 4 months and you are Ikesing this like usual.

ETA -Wow I clicked your link and it’s RentCafe where the data doesn’t even go back to before Covid times and shows a 25% increase over the tiny amount of data it has. That isn’t “essentially no increase” you fucking liar. Dude you are so so bad at this.

Let that sink in guys. Ikes thinks 30-40% increases(probably more but I’ll use Ike’s data) in housing and rents over like 3 years is “essentially nothing” and think that proves his point.

2 Likes

I’m using well accepted, easily checked facts.

You’re using half remembered anecdotes from that has had zero actual analysis that no one can check.

You’re making up quotes about “essentially no increase” because someone corrected you. OKC housing costs have not doubled.

Ok. I exaggerated. Would you agree that 25-40% increases in rent and housing in 3 years is a lot? Or is it “essentially nothing”.

You also have no actual data on rents.

Covid happened four years ago. I think 5-8% inflation per year in housing prices isn’t great, but it’s not a complete disaster as the 19% you made up. Thankfully it’s been offset by slowing of inflation in other places and wages have gone up faster than inflation. That’s good!

Rent data doesn’t exist at a high quality level, you’re making that up too though. Nothing I found supported your assertion, most said rents have been down for the past 6 months or so.

My point was that smaller cities have been hit hard by housing increases as well. Maybe not as hard but the idea they have been spared is false. Your data shows that. The end.

If you think rents are down in OKC since before covid you are a bigger moron than even micro thinks.

If you consider interest rates and insurance costs I think it could be close even if the home prices were only up 20%. ETA- these numbers are back of envelope, I didn’t look up anything specific.

If that was your point it would have been better to say that than make up bullshit and try to retcon it later.

Read what i was replying to? You really must be illiterate.