IQ and voting

Interesting, I suspect that’s true.

I think my boss got about 110 on his first attempt and remember thinking that sounded about right and was shocked when he passed in the end.

I suspect they need the £££ and need people to turn up at their crappy and tedious social events where they find they have nothing in common with each other apart from low self-esteem and an absence of social skills.

idk man. the centrists in this forum are brain busto

2 Likes

Skalanski actually thinks it’s a good practical idea that can be implemented fairly.

110 is the perfect IQ (about 1 std deviation above the mean) for someone to feel mentally superior to a lot of society but not quite smart enough to realize their own limitations. I suspect a lot of middle management types fall into this range.

Mensa really is a racket IMO - but I digress. We shouldn’t have any mental competency tests for voting, I mean, come on. That has a really dark history, lol.

Yes, it not only has a dodgy past but there are serious cultural biases in many IQ tests.

1 Like

I think this is correct, 110 seems about the IQ one would have to post incessantly about mental health but also not realize that Democratic establishment politicians are the ones holding back treatment

1 Like

Plus a lot of people with a high IQ are absolutely deplorable.

1 Like

Lol this is just sad. Even I think you’re better than that.

1 Like

wahhhhhhh

4 Likes

All of this has been explained to Dave over and over but he keeps coming in once every six months to pitch it to us like it’s an exciting new idea.

1 Like

A mandatory 5,000 word essay for every voter titled “Why anyone should give a fuck what I think”.

Points subtracted for errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.

Aren’t they more likely to be college educated and college educated people skew heavily liberal? (Just spitballing I actually don’t know)

I am curious your thought process on this. I don’t know any genuinely smart people that are still trump supporters. I knew one or two that bought into the initial hype but have long jumped ship and are full biden train now.

dude clicked ‘reply’

typed ‘wahhhhh’

then clicked ‘reply’ again

3 Likes

I have a Harry Potter Sorting Hat Conjecture that touches on this.

I know a fair number of very smart people and it seems they’re like 50:50. Maybe sample size issue.

I think there’s often a problem with quite a few high IQ people being so brain-skewed that they have no empathy and think of everything in terms of “perfect” systems. I’m thinking of a couple of people I’ve worked with who were libertarian types you often find in IT departments.

A little further down the range where the IQ test bias towards logic is less pronounced is where I think more liberal minded people sit, including arts/humanities grads, and there are clearly more of them.

Are they smart-smart or really-good-at-one-thing-smart?

Mostly PhD biologists and chemists as well as a bunch of engineers with MS degrees. Not sure that they’re very well rounded necessarily, but IQ doesn’t measure that, does it?

This can probably be excised into its own thread because it’s an interesting topic, but my thinking was always that a very intelligent person would be so shocked and insulted by trump’s idiocy and would also not want to be lumped in with the majority sub-100 IQ of his supporters.

Plus, racism and xenophobia are not logical ideals. But I guess a smart person could conjure up very convincing (to themselves) rational reasons to be racist or any other kind of “ist.”

It’s a very sincere long-held belief of mine that there are none or very few truly intelligent trump supporters. But I guess you don’t have to be a trump supporter to be deplorable, either.

Hm. I’m always reminded of when Google Memo Guy made the google memo and people were like “Well just because he’s smart doesn’t mean…” But I was like “Why are you conceding the premise he’s smart? Anybody can get good at one thing but the google memo was the actual pop quiz hotshot intelligence test!”

2 Likes