Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

God they really are just all the bad people huh?

Now I wonder if @MichaelDavis ever figured out who ikes was at his HS.

I used to feel bad for his wife with his stories of her chronic pain and constant struggle to get pain scripts filled, (although of course Ikes wouldn’t give two fucks if it was anybody else), but now I hope they both suffer because they both suck.

1 Like

Never did. Asked my brother, couldn’t figure it out. It’s possible he posts on this board? The coincidence of having a NY emergency room doc here is…interesting.

I don’t think it’s him, shrug.

This is a nice new piece of information I can ask about though!

He’s not completely heartless.

Carnival dipping back down today. If that holds I may put a little in it when my FXE sale clears.

What other stonks/industries out there are still way underwater from covid?

My thesis is to assume most of them will re-attain their pre-covid high once covid starts to clear, then I probably dump them. I already have oil and airline stonks.

Retail? If you hate money, or really believe malls will come back, maybe Simon Property Group?

I wouldn’t touch it or other REITs myself but it’s a thought.

Lol malls were dying anyway. No one seems willing to risk death to go to a mall like they do with cruises.

Maybe some resort stocks or something.

I was thinking restaurant but I’ve worked in the corporate restaurant industry and they’re just awful. My other thesis is not to buy companies who I hate.

Fuck it’s Disney isn’t it. I need to invest in Disney. Never mind, they’re almost all the way back to pre-covid. Eff that. Marriott getting pretty close too.

Ok picked up some Carnival YOLO. About 4.5% of my portfolio.

1 Like

Costco had a really weird dip yesterday that I cant figure out. October numbers looked good, and were reported last Wednesday. No idea why they took a 5% loss when everything else was up yesterday

I would guess they are a stay at home stock in a way. People binging on food and kirkland wine at home is good for Costco. People eating out is bad for costco.

1 Like

BA, WFC. RYCEY or INN if you want to go hardcore on a recovery.

Thanks. I’m not hardcore on immediate recovery, but I am on eventual recovery within a year or two.

Pass on Boeing and Wells lol - I’m not into companies that are rotten to the core. Have to think about the other two.

DFEN looks interesting for a rebound play too. It’s down from $72 to $13.6. Extremely volatile (duh it’s a 3x etf) but the top holdings are BA, LMT and RTX which in theory should recover because they’re propped up by government contracts.

To me 3x implies you expect a movement and think you have a read on the timing. I have no read on timing. I’m just looking for stuff that’s underwater to ride as it floats back to the surface on its own timetable.

I’m already having some buyer’s remorse on Carnival. Going to be a long winter.

← super dumb when it comes to stonks. I just dump money into vanguard retirement funds…

Can I buy DFEN just like a normal stock in my TD ameritrade account?

If you have to ask that you probably shouldn’t be looking into 3x ETFS.

Here’s an aerospace and defense ETF that I think is 1x: https://www.etf.com/ITA

1 Like

One serious question I have been thinking about is why wouldn’t a 3x spy etf be much smarter than spy itself for a retirement account? STONKS only go up and all in the long term right? You only really get destroyed if the economy totally collapses which probably means your STONKS portfolio is the least of your concerns anyways. The only downside I have seen is the admin costs are typically higher by a small amount than like a Vanguard SPY etf. The 3x aspect would seem to make up for that and then some.

Someone talk me out of doing this.

ETA-Also if someone can explain how SPXL is down for 2020 while SPY is up significantly that would be much appreciated. That is probably the part I am missing, where that difference comes from. SPUU appears to do roughly the same thing for lower fees and is up 10% YTD rather than SPXL which is down 6% for the year.

Well, I mean I’m not going to be on the hook for any additional dough than what I put into buying DEFN, right? I’m not buying on margin. I don’t mind the gamble, just want to make sure I’m not ending up on the hook for something if it drops.

What many investors don’t recognize is that leveraged ETFs are rebalanced daily. Since leverage needs to be reset on a daily basis, volatility is your greatest enemy. This probably sounds strange to some traders.

In most cases, volatility is a trader’s friend. But that’s certainly not the case with leveraged ETFs. In fact, volatility will crush you. That’s because the compounding effects of daily returns will actually throw off the math, and can do so in a very drastic way.

For example, if the S&P 500 moves down 5%, a fund like the SSO should move down 10%. If we assume a share price of $10, the SSO should be down to about $9 after the first day. On the second day, if the S&P 500 moves up 5%, over the two days the S&P 500 return will be -0.25%. An unaware investor would think the SSO should be down 0.5%. The 10% increase on day two will bring shares up from $9.00 to $9.90, and the SSO will, in reality, be down by 1%.

Typically, you will find that the more volatile the benchmark (the S&P 500 in this example) for a leveraged ETF, the more value the ETF will lose over time, even if the benchmark ends up flat or had a 0% return at the end of the year. If the benchmark moved up and down drastically along the way, you may end up losing a significant percentage of the value of the ETF if you bought and held it.

For example, if a leveraged ETF moves within 10 points every two days for 60 days, then you will likely lose more than 50% of your investment.

3 Likes