Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

Yeah I’m not saying they’re going out of business, but in mid-late May they were trading at like $18 a share, now they’re at $33 a share. If the NBA cancels, they’ve gotta give back a decent amount of that, right?

Then again, they are now getting NASCAR and PGA business.

Lol that’s a stock where nothing makes sense then - good luck.

2 Likes

I found a company that operates travel centers in NM and AZ, but it’s OTC Pink, so no options. Doh! Nothing I can do in a retirement account, I guess.

Lol rational markets, but I don’t see how Draft Kings won’t take a hit. I think NBA might shut down and even if it doesn’t a much shorter baseball season means fewer gambling opportunities and football might be at risk if things stay bad (they obviously will want to play, but bubble strategy is much harder to execute). Plus continued economic pain means fewer people have disposable cash and noone is going to bail out the industry.

I found a handful of stocks that I would love to buy puts for, none trade options though. There’s no other way to take a bearish position in an IRA, right?

There are a few others I would have loved a week ago but they already got beat up too much. I’m kicking myself again for not finishing this project sooner. If we get a stupid rally this week, I’ll be checking them.

Unfortunately it appears it’s much easier to find these positions in the exact states that are currently ramping up cases (TX and FL especially), as a lot of regional companies are overly exposed to them since they’re populous states.

Looks like OK/SC are going to be tougher.

Also there could be some opportunities in Nevada, but I’m not sure of the implications of the Caesars/El Dorado merger on this, don’t want to get myself screwed on that.

Betting against Oklahoma O&G stocks might be an option. Almost all of them are heavily indebted. If the pandemic keeps oil and gas prices where they are today for the next year there is going to be several that go bankrupt as they cant produce profitably at these prices. CHK, one of the larger companies, just filed for BK yesterday.

Too much of mine this past weekend. Dammit Justin Thomas for laying an egg this week.

Somebody stole/got access to a credit card of mine over the weekend and tried to charge $1100 for… a homeopathic MLM.

:eyes:

2 Likes

Sorry about that.

STONKS

5 Likes

Yeah this seems good, but it’s less certain and with less of an opportunity to leverage the markets lack of realization of the short-term severity of this against it. Seems a little more like a gamble. Then again, I thought my DIS puts were just like free money, and I’m losing so far…

I’m about to post my locale update. Their current R0 in Orlando is 5.21. FIVE!

1 Like

Back fully in Aug 17 SPXS (3x spy short etf)calls. Corona spike happening + what are likely to be miserable Q2 earnings coming up in the next couple of weeks means in my mind it is time to gamble.

1 Like

This may be relevant for people here: I just got an email from my employer saying that you can elect to change your 2020 FSA contributions if you’d like. (Presumably many people are in a situation where they are spending far less on medical costs than what they had planned for, due to all the COVID-related shutdowns.)

So if you, like me, were fearing that you’d be burning a bunch of FSA dollars by letting them go unused, you should check with your HR to see if you can change, as well.

1 Like

STONKS

1 Like

CNBC 3:50 pm: Fauci says we’re all gonna die

CNBC 4:02 pm: BEST QUARTER EVER FOR DOW SINCE 1987! STONKS!

3 Likes

Can someone explain to me what is happening with TSLA? Over 1200 now.

STONKS

1 Like

some wall street firm set their target price at $2000

Tesla produces 90,000 cars at breakeven in 3 months and the company has a market cap of 200B?