Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

Bigly +1 to this. That stuff got pushed out of the Covid thread for good reason, but it ended up here instead which is a bad fit.

2 Likes

+1.
The discussion of stonks between the really intelligent posters here is something I respect a lot. It would be nice if it was in a different thread though so I can clog this thread up with banal questions about tax and self-employment IRA’s.

Yeah, a separation makes sense.

“Personal Finance” in Sundry Chitchat and “The Stock Market and the Economy” in Politics & News seems like the best solution.

There are times when there will be overlap, but I think we’re a smart enough group to post in the right threads >90% of them time.

3 Likes

Fyp

2 Likes

since the betting on politics brag thread is dead I strongly recommend we open a betting on stonks brag thread

3 Likes

I don’t love splitting the thread out as it’s one more thread I have to check, but I guess I’m I’m the minority on that.

Ok bear with me. There is a subreddit called /r/wallstreetbets that is about a bunch of degens gambling in the market but its mostly known for their memes and great original content.

They made this gif that is amazing and I think sums up whats happening with the market

Hmm seems like this site now tries to embed reddit videos but it doesn’t play so I posted it as a hyperlink

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ga6erq/a_rare_look_into_a_typical_wsb_dd_lab/

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ga6erq/a_rare_look_into_a_typical_wsb_dd_lab/

6 Likes

Holy shit the internet is a wonderful place.

Holy shit that is awesome. Like a live look-in at every day I check the news/stonks over the last month.

In related news the NASDAQ is now up for 2020 and up 10% over the last 12 months.

I have been assured this is rational markets accurately pricing in a global pandemic.

1 Like

WSB is a fucking weird place. They have a daily thread with 18000 replies 6 hours old? How do a bunch of millennial nerds have enough $ to throw at random stonks (or care enough about it)?

So this seemed worth posting since it was linked in the thread as another high quality meme:

Stock Tank from r/wallstreetbets

(the meme doesnt have sound)

2 Likes

What’s it about?

they’re accurately pricing they won’t be the ones hosed

Yeah honestly WSB probably has the best original meme content on the internet, they have a bunch of absolutely amazing ones.

1 Like

My expert TA stonks skills have detected a pattern - lately stonks seem to pretty much stagnate where ever they open for the day - at least since Trump stopped talking while the market was in session.

Is there some way to make money off this pattern? If so someone should try a risky bet and let me know how it goes.

FB, MSFT, TSLA all crushed earnings and are up huge afterhours. At this rate we will be back at all time highs by next week

hmmm that can’t be right, I was told by that tooth sayer guy that Tesla was guaranteed dead when the next recession happened.

FB actually missed but the other two did beat. They all are up huge. In this market they were probably all mooning no matter what. Most of the stocks including Alphabet missed yesterday and today we mooned lol. The stock market is staring to look a lot like BTC in late 2017 frankly.

My 401k contributions currently go to a target date retirement fund that I am pretty happy with (I think the mix is reasonable, fees are low, etc.). I currently contribute 13% of my salary and the employer match is half of everything up to 10% of my salary. They just announced that, starting May 1, they are going to stop the match in order to conserve cash. My question is, should I change my personal contribution rate?

Assume:

• completely liquid 8-12 months of expenses
  • additional non retirement money that could be liquidated if required
  • condo with a fixed mortgage at a low rate
  • no other debt