Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

What would you do with the money if you don’t put it in your 401k.

Generally you should save as much as you can into your 401k regardless of what the match is. So if you can afford what you’re currently contributing you should keep doing it, whether it’s being matched or not isn’t really relevant. Obviously it’s annoying that you don’t get a match but that’s neither here nor there. My work just said no raises that were scheduled for June, I’m sure that that’s just the start and we will lose our match too.

I guess that’s a secondary question. My first inclination is that the tax advantages of the 401k + a lack of on obvious need for cash (I have an emergency fund, no significant debt, no desire to start my own business or buy a new house) means that continuing contributions even without the match is probably still the best play.

Im a mega bear and I have not changed at all what I am doing with tax advantaged accounts at all this whole time.

FB up 10% in after hours on ‘stable’ ad revenue.

I think it should be the primary question, not the secondary question. If you don’t have something better to do with the money than leave it in the 401k then you should leave it in the 401k. I know it sounds simplistic but that’s really the analysis. Would paying off your mortgage put you in a better spot in a year or in 10 years? Would you invest in cheaper ETFs?

Random, but I read this a couple times of year to stay on track.

3 Likes

Working on my first Covid medical equipment supply chain case. It’s still preliminary stages but it may result in signficant revenue (for me!).

You have already been putting in 3% of your income that doesn’t get matched.

The only reason that I could see in not contributing the 13% is if you wanted to contribute to other tax advantaged investments that you might want to use before retirment like a 529 plan.

I received my Trump bucks this morning deposited into my bank account.

I did not receive a letter from Trump. Guess I’m running good.

Huge earnings miss by Amazon. Guess we are really going go test whether or not anything matters in this market.

“How’s your 401k?” Is back on the menu boys!

Stocks finish their best month in decades

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/30/stocks-markets-today-coronavirus/

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1255967715325550592

2 Likes

Signed the commitment letter yesterday on the house I’m buying. County clerk’s office is closed, so who knows when this will be signed and done. … It’s an old farmhouse in a good location. My plan is to live there, and use my current, nearby cabin as a getaway. Also opens me up to being able to rent it often … AirBnB or monthly. I could see renting it for summers, even, since living out in the woods is so pleasant when the weather is nice.

Having no experience with this, how do appraisals and selling prices typically match up?

For instance, the house originally listed at 175k, was lowered to 170k and we settled on 162k. Tax appraisal was 180k, and bank appraised at 167k.

I explained this several weeks ago! Where’s my Noble Prize. Take it from that journalist and give it to me

1 Like

Am I the only one who wanders around my house blurting out “Stonks!” like 50 times a day?

3 Likes

Yes

3 Likes

Stonks!

7 Likes

Stupid question but does crude oil go bad? If not, couldn’t you just save up a million barrels in your warehouse somewhere and wait for the price to go up?

Ok I googled that for myself: https://www.quora.com/Does-crude-oil-go-bad

No. Unprocessed crude oil is already several million years old, another few years aren’t going to make it go bad. It can lose the lighter components if it is stored uncovered, so make sure you store it hermetic.

Refined products, such as gasoline can break down as lighter distillates evaporate.

Ok. Now I just need a huge warehouse that operates cheaply.

1 Like

I thought I just heard you but it turned out to be a formation of Mallards flying over the house.

3 Likes