Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

Travel and furniture are as expensive as you want them to be. If you walk into a high end furniture store in Soho in NYC, you can easily spend $100,000 on just a living room if you are so inclined.

Not enough candles

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is some “salt of the Earth” Midwestern thing, but I’m not really sure why offering to contribute money so that you and your wife can vacation at the beach while treating everyone to an upgrade would have to come off as “ungrateful and elitist.”

FWIW, I can more easily see this type of ambivalence as being rooted in parent/child dynamics, but obviously I don’t know any of the players.

Wait, is there not a Mrs. Spidercrab?

I was confused. I had thought it was skydiver who made that post.

Except a family reunion isn’t really the same thing as a gift, even if the parents intend to pay for it.

Has anyone who uses Turbo Tax had issues with the IRS not accepting their e-filed return?

This is the second year in a row that it has happened. It’s annoying AF.

Been good for me

It’s economic anxiety!

Just submitted mine and accepted within a few hours.

Accepted in a few hours had been my standard experience, pre-2021. But now it’s not working.

I guess what I was asking is if anyone has had a rejected return AND been able to fix the issue to get it ultimately accepted. I tried multiple times and burned about 30 min doing that.

If it rejects it next year, I think I’ll just quit after one attempt and just send it by mail.

The best I can tell is that it is incorrectly doing it for some security-related reason. So I think that I may be doomed to doing mail in returns for the foreseeable future.

Do they give you a rejection code/reason?

IRS accepted my federal return right away from Turbo Tax, but Oregon rejected it, because apparently you need to submit your federal return with your state return in Oregon, and TurboTax was too stupid to do that without a rejection and a software update.

Yes, it says

I checked both of those and they were the same. I have always used the same PIN and the AGI was verified multiple times.

I guess since I mailed it last year (for the same reason), I may not have had a PIN for last year. I didn’t try leaving the PIN field blank. Maybe I’ll give that a try next year.

Any other ideas?

yeah pin is only used for online so thats probably it

That wouldn’t explain the previous year. Tax year 2019 was filed online and thus had a PIN. When I filed for Tax year 2020 it was rejected for the same reason.

Maybe this one applies - depends how slow they were in processing your 2020 taxes.

• If you printed and mailed your return and it was not processed by December 10, 2021, then enter “0” for your 2020 AGI.

Possible, I guess. I didn’t need an extension and mailed it before the deadline. But who knows how long the IRS sat on it.

There are two different ones that I’m aware of. One you select yourself and the other one is what you are talking about.

Yes, that’s exactly it. You don’t actually have to write it down, you can always open up your last year’s return in Turbo Tax and find it there. I have always used the same one so I’ve got it memorized.

Apparently it is also used to verify returns in this way, so it’s more than just an e-signature.