Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

If you didn’t sneak in there at 2am and take a shit in the center of the living room you have failed miserably.

1 Like

re deposits. The house I was renting the one before last the landlords refused to give me my deposit back. I googled CA laws and saw the triple damages if they don’t provide an itemized list within 30 days. I requested it like a week after I moved out via email. Never got it. I started the process of getting the payment and within a month the " company " went bankrupt aka changed their name and I never got my deposit back. Pretty sure they did that a couple times a year to avoid paying people their deposits back.

I wasn’t too mad about it though because it was a party house. No damages, but I felt guilty as hell about how I rolled in that house. To be fair I was a 26 year old poker player and had a huge job core facility on one side and a house of college kids who partied too on the other so it seemed like nobody cared that much.

A bunch of my friends are DJs and my best friend as a side gig is a legit high level sound guy for big parties. So we had a huge professional sound system & DJ equipment and lived like 2 miles from a popular underground rave spot. So we regularly had 50+ people at the house raging well into the next day high on molly. Some of the best times in my life were in that house. Woke up too two girls in my bed a few times. I made the hugest mistake of my life by getting a girlfriend 1 year into the house who ended up being the worst girlfriend I ever had :(

GOAT night was we all took acid. One of the girls mentioned said I looked like Austin Powers because I have long hair and walked around in my boxers with a hairy chest. This led to lots of jokes, and eventually my friend brought me one of his moms blouses. I trained brazillian jiu jitsu for years, and the main culprit of the jokes who also brought me his moms blouse was a big guy, so my counter was I’d whoop his ass in his mommas blouse. People like to test me by wrestling and I’d take them all on like 3-4 guys in a row just taking them down and submitting them. The night on acid I’m rocking the blouse just fucking dudes up in his moms blouse, we got the fan going so its super windy in the house and I’m flowly as shit, and my friends GF loses her mind on the acid and is freaking out trying to fight another girl for flirting with her BF. So I’m just strolling around the house flowy as fuck dancing my ass off occasionally breaking up the drama, calming the girl down, then casually walking away dancing not giving a single fuck. Like this girl was freaking the fuck out and I just would walk away dancing and everyone was on acid and couldn’t stop laughing about it including the girl freaking out. Eventually this broke her bad trip because she was laughing so much at it. We went on to have an incredible night where I got together with this super cool marine biologist student for awhile from long beach.

Anyways " in yo mommas blouse " is still a regularly quoted joke by all my friends.

12 Likes

What makes the woat gf story even worse is i knew she sucked months into the relationship but her mom had died or cancer 3 months before we got together so when I tried to break up with her several times she cried a lot and I caved. She ended up being a complete sociopath that I stayed with for years smfh

1 Like

@StimAbuser’s security deposit advice is way better than mine.

1 Like

I am a miserable failure, then.

Join the club.

1 Like

Re rental deposits, I’ve only rented for two years in my adult life from two different landlords. Both times I announced I was leaving one month after the lease ended and was using the deposit as the rent. The first landlord didn’t care in the slightest but the second guy went ape but in the end didn’t do anything either. Im guessing that it didn’t hurt that both places were immaculate when I left.

Update: my current property management office won’t return my potential new landlord’s call as part of her background check.

I’m about ready to go to the newspaper before I’m even out of here and have my deposit back. Fuck these people.

I’m ready to go down there on Monday afternoon and ask them to step outside for COVID safety and then scream and yell and make a scene.

Update: I have no hot water again. I cannot even describe the amount of rage I’m feeling. This is going to be the third time in under three weeks I have to leave the apartment for a day and wipe everything down when I get back, not that they give a flying fuck because obviously I’m the only lunatic nutjob who believes we’re still in a fucking pandemic.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t have prompted them to close the door to that other place, you could have headed over there for a shower.

7 Likes

They almost always leave it unlocked anyway (lol), I’ve seriously considered it.

1 Like

Interesting statistics about Philadelphia rents:

https://twitter.com/TonyInStLouis/status/1290270281789919232

(I lived in different parts of Philadelphia for about 10 years and have very fond memories.)

1 Like

Update: property management office refuses to call her, she can only email them.

(Remember, I authorized them to do so last Tuesday.)

"As far as the rental reference, I only ever received one call from her. That was before we got your written permission. I was also off this weekend from Friday until today. So I’m not sure what number she called but if it was mine, I was unavailable.

Please have her email me and Other Awful Person. That’s the best way to reach us."

This stuff is asinine and gives them so much power. Next time just say I rented you a place and give them my number. That’s what I do when the landlord pisses me off and I sew cat feces inside the drapes.

2 Likes

Update: hot water heater repaired the second time. The maintenance guy admitted that he knew his first fix (resetting the thermostat) would not fix it. He wanted to see how long it would last. Nothing like a “luxury” apartment where they intentionally don’t fix stuff just for funsies, and you get to take cold showers as a result.

Meanwhile the leak they “fixed” two weeks ago that I warned them they hadn’t is leaking again. It’s apparently coming from the roof through the HVAC vents and leaking in my unit. He can’t fix it today since it’s raining and the leak is wet. Yessir, leaks tend to be that way.

So tomorrow will be my 4th maintenance visit in 16 days. I asked them to send someone out to do the cosmetic stuff at the same time since I have to have the visit anyway, they haven’t responded.

Potential new landlord also not responding. I may be getting ghosted by my current and potential landlords at once.

I’m ready to buy a nice tent and go live in the woods.

3 Likes

I recently read Evicted by Matthew Desmond, and one of the takeaways was similar - it’s obscenely profitable to own rental units in poor areas because the landlords can take just absurd advantage of the tenants. Sure you’re charging less per month in rent, but (1) Property is cheaper (2) You don’t do any maintenance at all, ever. (3) The poor can’t hire lawyers.

Great book - if any of you aren’t enraged enough at the Pandemic and want something else to be furious about, pick it up.

1 Like

I’m gonna pass on that for now lol… Sounds like a good read, but I can guess a lot of it. They also have really perverse leverage to jack up rent to the maximum amount the tenants can afford. Poor renters have no shot at saving up a down payment to buy, nor can they afford the cost of moving. I’d go so far as to say that if they aren’t occasionally late on a payment, the landlord is leaving money on the table but not jacking up the rent.

From a more upstanding moral standpoint, you’d think it might create an opportunity for someone with a big multi-family unit to go in and say fuck it, I’m going to do right by these people and charge them a fair rent where I make a profit and they aren’t under my thumb, I’ll have 100% occupancy once word gets around, minimal turnover, and be able to sleep at night.

But, given that the number of poor people probably outweighs supply for housing in a lot of poor areas… Here we are.

Update: My apartment complex just sent a reminder to everyone living here to pay their August rent, “just in case” people forgot since the first of the month fell on a weekend.

Dear Hellhole Residents,

Since the 1st of the month fell over a weekend this month, we wanted to take a moment to remind everyone to check that you have submitted your rent payments for August rent and charges. We ask that everyone checks their RentCafe accounts to ensure that their balances are paid in full before late fees are assessed on the 6th.

Please note that this is a property-wide email and is being automatically sent to all residents, regardless of your current account balance.

As a reminder, rent and all charges are due on the 1st of every month and considered late if not received by the end of business on the 5th of the month. If you have any questions at all, please reach out to the property management office directly.

We hope everyone is staying safe and heatlhy.

Best Regards,

Hellhole Property Management
123 Hellhole Street, Suite 666
Philadelphia, PA

You hate to see it.

2 Likes