Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I’m pretty sure I was not notified, so that’s good to know. I’m inclined to waste immense amounts of time to get every penny back from these fuckers.

One of the many benefits of being self employed and having tons of unstructured free time is that you get to do what makes you happy even when it doesn’t pencil out sometimes.

1 Like

^^^^^^^ This is very true. My GF is working for a start up that does actual science stuff that she loves, but her calendar is jam packed every day from 9am-7pm.

On the other hand, I’m an independent operator. So if I feel like my mental health is best served by taking 1-4 hours in the middle of my day to read a book, or play a game online, or go on a 2 hour hike, I just go ahead and do it.

1 Like

FYP.

2 Likes

I have a full time job, but really only have like 1-2 hours/work to do a day. But my mental health breaks seem to revolve around freaking out about covid. Actually work is the best thing for me.

2 Likes

Nah man that’s just poker lol. On the other hand in my game I have 2-3 losing sessions a year and I play basically every day. Trade offs.

1 Like

I suggest you take @seities advice and a leaf from their book by opening your own back door on their property.

1 Like

Go for a hike man.

I do - that takes care of 1 out of 14 days.

1 Like

Glad i’m not the only one with a work schedule like that

They just closed the door. It looks like it’s about to rain. I’m completely shocked they managed to get that somewhat right.

Or the new squatter closed it.

6 Likes

That would be… amazing. Just amazing.

I have. She was ok. Eyebooger is correct.

Jwax becoming a favourite poster of mine just for this one.

Love it!

1 Like

So I guess this would be the thread to post this in.

My girlfriend just got notified yesterday that DIRECTV sent her to collections for $750. She had a dish over 3 years ago when she was living in NJ and canceled the service then. She scheduled pick up of the equipment multiple times and every time they said no one was home.

Anyway, she moved back to AZ and has not had one single communication from them since. Not an email, not a letter or phone call. Not even from the collections agency they sent it to, and the only reason she knew about it was because of a credit alert.

How the hell do we get this resolved? Obviously they have to prove the debt, which in theory would be “legit” because somehow they never picked up the equipment from her ex’s house. However, how can they just send it to collections with 0 attempts to contact her?

I don’t have the answers here, but this is the type of thing that drives me absolutely fucking insane in this country. Like we’re the real life version of the bodies in the Matrix being used to generate power, except instead of sucking electrical current off of us they’re just sucking money.

This is the equivalent of saying, “Great credit score you’ve got there, be a shame if any thing happened to it because we accidentally didn’t pick up the equipment. Give us $750 or else.”

I did start that thread I talked about and I am going to go over some of the resources I’ve been looking at.

1 Like

How bad is the FICO decrease? If FICO is not impacted too badly, I’d just say fuck it. It will roll off eventually and collections companies are notorious for not reporting the pay off to the credit bureaus so you pay all the money for nothing. I had a collections hit on my FICO once and went into buy a car. F&I guy mentioned the hit and I said, “Yup I’m aware and I’ve disputed the debt with the collections agency”. I was able to finance the vehicle and I didn’t pay a higher %, IIRC.

Should you want to proceed forward, contact the collections company and negotiate the amount down. The collections company has already purchased the debt from DIRECTV so there may be an amount <$750 that they will agree to (WAG: They likely purchased the debt no higher than 50 cents on the dollar). Check out the handy negotiating tips! ITT. If possible, only release payment once you have written confirmation that collections company agrees to report the remedied payment to the credit bureaus.

Hopefully, you’ll get some responses from people that actually work in collections. I know collections debts can be negotiated, but I’m probably missing some steps and wrong on some details.

ETA: My dad recently cancelled his service and Fed Ex’d the equipment back to Direct TV. If you still have the equipment, might be worth a call to DIRECTV to see if you can resolve with them prior to reaching out to the collections agency.

1 Like